Scott's Reviews > Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah

Illusions by Richard Bach

M 50x66

I believe this book moved me more than any other before or since. Not because the writing was so great but the thoughts contained in it were so close to what I was feeling as a 19 year old away from home and on my own for the first time. I still believe the ideas contained here are timeless and profound. The fact that the author kind of went a bit off the deep end does not bother me (although it did for a while!)

I remember that some factions of the Christian right were outraged that the book referred to a Messiah other than Jesus. That always surprised me because I felt that most of the ideas contained here were quite Christ like. I have seen quotes from this book appear in many locations and use many of them myself when working with students. (I teach music part time). Some of my Favorites:

"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours." Probably my all time favorite.

"We teach best what we most need to learn."

"Rarely do members of the same family grow up in the same house."

The idea that our thoughts can control our lives is a very powerful one and truer than many realize. Last years phenom book and DVD "The Secret" tried to express the same ideas in a much less creative manner. If you want to go that route head straight for "Psycho-Cybernetics" by Maxwell Maltz. The first and best of it's kind.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Illusions.

Started Reading
January 1, 1978 – Finished Reading
March 3, 2009 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Beth Bright my thoughts exactly

Franciekat I read Illusions at 18 under similar circumstances. I had no idea it caused so much city controversy, but I'm not surprised.

ROBERT JACKSON I read it on a bus ride from Florida to Canada ( my trip to see some of America alone) on my 21st birthday it changed my life. I have recommended and gifted it to my three daughters on their 21st birthdays with a trip to New York .

Aviva Shore I was around the same age and this is a perfect description