Lindsey's Reviews > Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter

Waiter Rant by The Waiter

did not like it
bookshelves: gave-up, just-plain-awful, love-to-be-a-hater
Recommended for: bitchy self loathing foodies

Don't get me wrong- this book seemed like it would be right up my alley. I like cynicism, I like bitchy people... and if you're funny I'll listen to you complain all day and night. The Waiter was just whiny. Half the time he was trying to link a boring story into some grander theme (like wanting to be a firefighter when you're a kid- WTF?) and the other half of the time he was wistfully talking about how writing this book was going to save him from his woeful life of being a waiter.

Also, while ripping on snobs and foodies, he was pretty stuck up himself the whole book. There were parts where I actually stopped reading and wondered who his intended audience was because at parts it seemed like he was writing for the very people he was insulting.

I quit reading at chapter 15 because it wasn't funny. Tell me more about the staff interactions. Tell me more about the bitchy entitled customers. Tell me more about anything but trying to get a book deal, how people think your blog is hilarious, or how you're middle aged and stuck in a dead end life. This is the farthest I've read a book and decided to give up on it so I guess that's why you're getting this long review. I wanted to like it, I really did, the writer just got in the way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Waiter Rant.

Finished Reading
March 3, 2009 – Shelved
March 3, 2009 – Shelved as: gave-up
March 3, 2009 – Shelved as: just-plain-awful
March 3, 2009 – Shelved as: love-to-be-a-hater

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

message 1: by Mary (new)

Mary Okay, that seals the deal. I sure won't read it. However, it is going on the food display, on the farmer's table, next week.
I've already done the waitperson/bartender/caterer deal, so I guess I don't need to write about it. Does he write about folks like my hubby, who for some reason, always seems to be deaf when asked if he's ready to order? Love Neco, hate that habit...

message 2: by Judy (new) - rated it 1 star

Judy Mann Dead on. I so disliked this guy- you have no idea.It comes to me -over and over again- that if you can't stand the person writing the book - then you better get out of there real fast. He was sanctimonious- he was snot nosed and most important he seemed like one pretentious horseshit of a waiter. "Yes, madam, no madam." I swear had he been my waiter I would've happily puked all over my table. And you're right- he is one lousy writer. His dialogue is about as believable as a grade 1 reader.
Can't stand this guy. Real boring and pretentious drek.JM

Lindsey Judy wrote: "Dead on. I so disliked this guy- you have no idea.It comes to me -over and over again- that if you can't stand the person writing the book - then you better get out of there real fast. He was sanct..."

Agreed- this guy was a terrible bore but completely stuck up about it. How? I feel like there are probably hundreds of other more literate and hilarious waiters out there that should have gotten a book deal and not this dope.

message 4: by Judy (new) - rated it 1 star

Judy Mann Lindsey wrote: "Judy wrote: "Dead on. I so disliked this guy- you have no idea.It comes to me -over and over again- that if you can't stand the person writing the book - then you better get out of there real fast...."

Lindsay - the really funny thing was that when I went back to check what I had written to you in my comment your review came up and I thought "Holy Crap- I don't remember writing that" but it was exactly to the t what I would've written. ALSO you'll be very happy to know that when you google the book for its reviews YOURS comes up under Goodreads on the main google search page. Neat, eh? Now word will be out what a twit this guy was. Read "View from Babylon"by Donald Rawley. Best book yet.J

Serafina Oh, reading that what Judy just said, I have to insert here (where people will see first!) that, as a former Catholic, the waiter's behavior is also a disgrace to the Church, even though he constantly flaunts the fact that
he was part of a seminary before.

message 6: by Judy (new) - rated it 1 star

Judy Mann Serafina wrote: "Oh, reading that what Judy just said, I have to insert here (where people will see first!) that, as a former Catholic, the waiter's behavior is also a disgrace to the Church, even though he constan..."

I agree with you, Serafina. I could not figure out why he kept talking about his past because in fact his conversations with the other waiters made him sound so ridiculously pompous and sanctimonious.Like he was miles above all their chagrin. I really did not like this guy.J

Brittany all I can say is wow. you probably are one of the people us servers hate. this book is hilarious to anyone in the industry because we can relate. The author works in a higher end restaurant which means he deals with the worst of the worst. keep in mind too that he is only make a couple dollars an hour and is relying on tips to earn a living. Its sounds simple to take orders and deliver food, but everyday people make that "simple" job a living hell by acting like uncivilized idiots. this book is should be an awakening for people, and should remind everyone to be nice to your server, because they are the ones handling your food.

Lindsey Brittany wrote: "all I can say is wow. you probably are one of the people us servers hate."

Say whaaat? Nowhere in this review did I say that taking orders or being a server is 'simple'. In fact, I know it's ridiculously hard and not everyone can do it or do it well. What I wanted was for this book to be real/hilarious and what I got was a jerkoff looking for a book deal and when he finally got one he kept talking about how he was looking for a book deal and that he hated his life. If anything, this dude sounded exactly like the kind of waiter no other waiters would want to work with.

message 9: by Judy (new) - rated it 1 star

Judy Mann Lindsey wrote: "Brittany wrote: "all I can say is wow. you probably are one of the people us servers hate."

Well done, Lindsey. That's all I'm going to say. Well done. JM

message 10: by Serafina (last edited May 13, 2013 10:19PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Serafina Judy wrote: "Lindsey wrote: "Brittany wrote: "all I can say is wow. you probably are one of the people us servers hate."

I agree. Well said, Lindsey.

message 11: by Claire (new) - added it

Claire I agree with you Lindsay, in your defence to Brittany. Also, as someone who eats out almost every single meal and knows the names of servers she sees regularly, most people are polite, simply order and little more - even at high-end restaurants. Actually, it is my experience that interactions are usually far more refined and polite the higher the stars; the myth of the bitchy business man it just that, for people with money usually must rely on social skills to make connections. Yes, wait staff deal with rude and irate customers, but no more than anyone else in the service industry - in fact, I would venture less than government workers. If anything, a waiter who thinks he is "better than" what he is doing, like this author did, it is perceivable by the customers; these types of waiters do not treat people well, then are mad when they are not treated well back. There are good waiters and good customers, but it is a bad waiter who lets one "bad apple" spoil the bunch - lets one mar their perception of all customers. You get more TIPS with honey..

Lindsay, I also loved your review. I just used "right up my alley" for the cynicism reason in another review right before I saw yours. I need to find a good cynical book.

message 12: by Maura (new)

Maura If you read half a book than you should only leave half of a review.