Luann's Reviews > Jackaroo

Jackaroo by Cynthia Voigt

bookshelves: 2009, historical-fiction, young-adult

I guess so many people have this shelved as a fantasy because of the "alternate history" aspect to the story. We never really know it takes place in OUR past and no real-world names that I know of are given for places. But there isn't any magic or sorcery. The School Library Journal calls this "an intense and elegantly written historical adventure-romance ." There really isn't even much of a romantic aspect to the story unless you count the romantic, swashbuckling legend of the Jackaroo, who is a type of Robin Hood character the villagers like to tell stories about.

With that said, I absolutely loved this story set in a time with Lords, Earls, and a King who charge taxes and tithes from their villagers and land holders. Gwyn, the main character, is an innkeeper's daughter who lives in the northern part of the kingdom. She is also a strong, independant young woman with a quick tongue who cares about other people and does her best to help even during hard times. Unfortunately for her, independant young women with a mind of their own really don't fit in with the time and community in which she lives. I loved the way the story played out and the ways that Gwyn found to stay true to herself while still attempting to fit into her world.

This is the first book I've read by Cynthia Voigt that wasn't in her Tillerman series, and I think it has now become my favorite by her - although I highly recommend the Tillerman books as well. I'm glad to see that Voigt has written more "novels of the Kingdom," and I look forward to reading them!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jackaroo.

March 2, 2009 – Shelved
May 23, 2009 –
page 289
100.0% "Loved it!"
May 23, 2009 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Ashley I am so glad you liked it! I own all four of the Novel of a Kingdom books, and love them all in different ways. None of the main characters are main characters in the other books- most take place about 2 generations after each other, so I love finding things in each book that refer to an earlier one! You will have to let me know what you think of them when you finish the other 3!

Luann Okay, I need to be keeping up better on comments to my reviews! Sorry, I just saw this one.

I plan to read all of them at some point - in fact, I plan to read all of Voigt's books. But it will probably be awhile before I get to them. I don't think my library has any of the other Kingdom books, but I'll have to check and see if another library in our district has them.

Ashley I hope some where does have the other 3! They are really good books. I also love Voigts Tillerman series. Other than When She Hollers (a tough but great one) I haven't read her other books, but I do plan to. She is a great writer!