Mark's Reviews > The Hollow Hills

The Hollow Hills by Mary  Stewart

bookshelves: historical-fiction, arthur-tales, myth-legend, britain-historical

The sword in the stone Mary Stewart style- absolutely brilliant! I loved the way that this very famous part of the Arthur saga was dealt with in such a totally believable way.(view spoiler)

The descriptive and writing stlye of Mary Stewart brings the story truly to life for me in a way that is mystical yet believable. Can't wait to read the third book at a later date!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hollow Hills.

Quotes Mark Liked

Mary  Stewart
“It is not true that women cannot keep secrets. Where they love, they can be trusted to death and beyond, against all sense and reason. It is their weakness, and their great strength. ”

Mary  Stewart
“Every life has death and every light has shadow. Be content to stand in the light and let the shadow fall where it will.”

Mary  Stewart
“To remember love after long sleep; to turn again to poetry after a year in the market place, or to youth after resignation to drowsy and stiffening age; to remember what once you thought life could hold, after telling over with muddied and calculating fingers what it has offered; this is music, made after long silence. The soul flexes its wings, and, clumsy as any fledgling, tries the air again”

Mary  Stewart
“Every man carries the seed of his own death, and you will not be more than a man. You will have everything; you cannot have more…”

December 19, 2012 – Shelved
December 24, 2012 – Shelved as: historical-fiction
December 27, 2012 – Shelved as: arthur-tales
January 17, 2013 – Started Reading
January 18, 2013 –
4.0% "The beautiful and descriptive writing of the first chapter just swept me away in time and place. Before the author named the place she was writing about I knew exactly where it was being a born and raised Cornish boy, it couldn't have been anywhere else but Tintagel. Even today it still has all the magic and mystery just hanging in the air as the waves come rolling in from the sea and crash into Merlin's cave."
January 20, 2013 –
January 21, 2013 –
January 22, 2013 –
January 23, 2013 –
61.0% "Didn't manage to read as much as I would have liked today. RL got in the way, dammit! *ggrrrr* Oh well, lets see what tomorrow brings :-)"
January 24, 2013 –
January 26, 2013 –
January 27, 2013 –
January 27, 2013 – Shelved as: myth-legend
January 27, 2013 – Shelved as: britain-historical
January 27, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Bev (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bev Hey Mark. Glad to see someone is still reading the old Mary Stewart 'Arthur'
series, I absolutely loved that when I was a lot younger than I am now, and still get the books out occasionally to read them, they were wonderful. Also glad to see that you like the 'Cut & Run' series - what do you think's in store for us in the next one??

Mark Hi Bev, I'm reading the Mary Stewart 'Arthur' series for the first time and enjoying every word of it. Somehow this one slipped past my youth, but I'm catching up - lol!

Yes, I LOVE the 'Cut & Run' series, hopelessly addicted to Ty and Zane. As for the next book, I'm trying not to listen to the specualtion at the moment. All I can say is that I hope it doesn't involve a break-up, my heart wouldn't stand it. It has been a long journey with these two to get this far. the waiting is killing me at the moment. I'm sure Abigail will not let us down though.

message 3: by Bev (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bev Well Mark, all I can tell you is that the blurb from Riptide, the publisher, ends with 'Nothing lasts forever'. I sincerely hope that that doesn't mean what we all think it might mean, or Abi will have a lot of vengeful fans on her trail, not a pleasant thought is it! Keep warm and speak to you soon. Thanks for friending me.