Naoms's Reviews > How to Misbehave

How to Misbehave by Ruthie Knox

Dec 18, 2012

bookshelves: arc, contemporary-romance, netgalley-edelweis, nook, read-in-2012, review-copy
Read from December 18 to 20, 2012

Originally posted on Confessions of an Opinionated Book Geek

4 stars

Amber is a good girl. She has always done exactly what she is supposed to do and never have her parents any trouble. She went to college, had a few boyfriends, but never went overboard with drinking and never slept around. Amber is not a virgin, but her inexperience and her inability to be comfortable around the opposite sex, makes her seem virginal, sweet and incredibly young for her age. Amber is tired of being good. Good girls don’t have fun, or get to experience the thrills of life. Enter, Tony, a contractor who is expanding the community center where Amber works. He is commanding, sexy and according to a friend he is trouble. Tony has never said more than two words to her, but she cannot get him out of her mind. When a tornado alert forces Amber and Tony to find shelter in a dark basement? Amber isn’t sure if she should be excited or terrified of being in the dark and alone with this troublesome man.

After reading “About Last night,” I emailed Ruthie Knox and begged for Arcs of her next book and lucky me her publisher sent me not one, but two. After begging the author for her book, I got a little nervous. What if I don’t like it? Within five pages of starting this book, I let out a sigh of relief. Another winner.

This is a novella, a short story and it’s about sex. It is sexy, sweet and detailed. Not cringe worthy graphic, but you can definitely imagine everything these characters are doing. This is a short story, which I usually hate. When I am finished with a book, I want to feel as if the characters are my best friends or enemies, depending on how much I like the book. I usually don’t feel that way with novellas, but with “How to Misbehave,” I really didn’t care.

This story is a snippet of a love story. We drop in on Tony and Amber at the beginning of their romance. It’s ripe, brand new and filled with possibilities. From the final page of this story, this relationship can become anything. I really enjoyed that. We go from the awkward conversation, to interests to strong attraction and finally the realization that there could be more between them than just sex.

The thing is, every girl’s first time should be with a guy like Tony. When I say first time, I don’t just mean losing your virginity. Nope, every girls first time with a new lover, first time after a break up, first time after a dry spell, etc, should be with a guy like Tony. Tony is calm, he is patient and is never annoyed with Amber’s inexperience. He explores her body, learns everything she likes while teaching her what he likes. I usually find sex scenes to be a little too much. There are authors who go on for pages and pages, until I am rolling my eyes and skipping the scene entirely. Not so in “How to Misbehave,” Amber’s sexual history is so boring; you are literally cheering Tony on. Someone had to teach this girl the correct way to misbehave!

Tony seems to do everything right. He is a confident, but fair boss. He is an accomplished lover and a guy who does not assault strange women in basements during tornadoes. Tony’s lack of faith in himself didn’t seem to add up with the man we experience. I wanted to know more and discover what it was in his past that made him distrustful of himself. Many times a characters dark past is something outlandish or ridiculous. I found Tony’s past to be heartbreaking and filled with guilt that I understood and sympathized with.

“How to Misbehave” is a quick, fun and entertaining read. I am becoming a big fan of how seamlessly Knox writes romantic male leads who are strong and confident, without the borderline obsessive and abusive tendencies that other authors have embraced.

Recommended for readers of contemporary romance, fans of “About Last Night” and anyone looking for a quick and entertaining read.

“How to Misbehave” Release date January. 28, 2013

***ARC courtesy of Loveswept/Random House and Netgalley

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Misbehave.

12/18/2012
1.0% "After days of YA hell, I need some old fashion love story."