Evan's Reviews > Demons of the Ocean

Mar 02, 2009

did not like it
bookshelves: fantasy, youngadult
Read in March, 2009

This was a dumb book. The setting made no sense--they were supposed to be in the 26th century with 18th century technology, but that disjunction was never even hinted at. The characters weren't developed enough to even be caricatures and the book wasn't decent enough to have an ending. Quite literally, the author thought, "hmmm, vampires are cool and pirates are cool and 'vampirates' is witty!" And then he attempted the bare minimum needed to write a book that could be titled Vampirates. And failed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Demons of the Ocean.

06/22/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily Dude, you finished it!

message 2: by Felicity (new)

Felicity Your review brought me several stars of joy.

Everley Sharp, the Clankinist i hate you.

Why can no one enjoy stuff that is different? People need to look deeper and then pull back a bit and say, "wow, this is different, and that's not actually a bad thing." You people are all the same: you all can't do that!

message 4: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael Depaolo I agree. I finished the book and was like, "Was that just the ending? I'm confused...."

message 5: by Meg (new) - rated it 2 stars

Meg Hahaha, look at the lot of you guys.

If you liked it why not respond by explaining the good qualities of the book that may not be apparent to this reader. He's just pointing out one set of views and I may have just started, but the characters feel horribly flat.

Maybe it gets better?

chucklesthescot Evan is perfectly entitled to say that he didn't like a book. There's no reason to abuse someone just because they don't like a book that you enjoyed. A review is a PERSONAL opinion of the book.

message 7: by Tigger (new)

Tigger Dude, seriously!!!?? The Vampirates series is awesome!!! There is something wrong with you Evan.

message 8: by Tigger (new)

Tigger And danke schoen (thank u in german) Everley Sharp, the Clankinist!!
I second u.

message 9: by Ruchi (new) - added it

Ruchi ok so I am still not sure whether i should include in my to read shelf after reading the review!

message 10: by Percabeth (new)

Percabeth Well unlike you guys I loved it so don't be ruining it for us fans and he did not fail it was a great twist of pirates and vampires you guys just don't have imagination!

James Johnson complete nonsense, badly written.

Đậu Bắp you're right James. This series is great.

message 13: by Chandra (new) - added it

Chandra Just so you guys know, this isn't a 'young adult' novel like you labeled it. It's a children's novel, a third grade reading level, of course your not going to like it as an adult. As a child I read this book, I wouldn't touch it now, but then it was riveting. I loved this series. But don't be stupid, if you come into thus expecting the writing to be like that of a an adult or even young adult novel, you're not going to like it. If you're an adult reading this series and other children's series you need to have an open mind.