S.M. Stevens's Reviews > Runaway Alex

Runaway Alex by Natalie Keller Reinert

Runaway Alex was my introduction to author Natalie Keller Reinert so first, let me address the horses! This book was a feast for a horse-lover who hasn't had a ton of first-hand experience and has no racetrack-world knowledge. I love all things horses so I luxuriated in the equine aspects of this novel, reading and often re-reading passages that described the Thoroughbred racing world and the horses themselves. In fact, I wouldn't have minded even more human-horse relationship development, but I realize she's writing for non-horse-lovers too.

Alex is a realistic, enjoyable character: loyal almost to a fault, hard-working, funny. Her leap of faith as she follows her dream is something anyone can relate to in some form.

I did think the romance between Alex and Alexander took off a tad too quickly - I would have liked a few more scenes to see their relationship develop and to get to know Alexander more. The author may have sensed this because she has Alex address the fast and fairy-tale like nature of their romance a few times, in a reasonably realistic way for general fiction and a thoroughly appropriate way for romance fiction.

Bottom line: I'm glad I came across this book, and I will read more of her novels for my horse fix!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Runaway Alex.

June 15, 2022 – Started Reading