Michael's Reviews > Band Of Brothers: E Company, 506th Regiment, 101st Airborne from Normandy to Hitler's Eagle's Nest

Band Of Brothers by Stephen E. Ambrose

Mar 02, 2009

I picked this book up, probably like many others, after having seen the HBO series inspired by this book and the stories of the men of easy company. I got about 1/3 of the way through the book and found Ambrose's descriptions and jumping-around from sub-story to sub-story to be tedious and boring. I put the book down for a good six months or so. I recently picked the book back up where I had left off. Perhaps it was my mind-set (the Pacific recently started airing on HBO), but I found band of brothers from chapter 11 (Bastogne) on to be gripping. In reading the last 35-40 pages I was brought to tears multiple times. Ambrose gives a good summary of the story of the men of Easy company:
The company had been born in July 1942 at Toccoa. Its existence essentially came to an end almost exactly three years later in Zell am See, Austria. In those three years the men had seen more, endured more, adn contributed more than most men can see, endure, or contribute in a lifetime.

The story of the men and what they did in the relatively short time in service is truly amazing. Easy company is like the "Forrest Gump" of WWII--they seem to play a part in every major event of the war. They are involved in (and play a critical part in) Normandy, the battle of the bulge, and then they end up being the first in to Berchtesgaden and the Eagle's Nest.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Band Of Brothers.

March 2, 2009 – Shelved
March 2, 2009 –
page 165
March 30, 2010 –
page 196
57.48% "Glad I picked this one back up."
March 30, 2010 –