Lani's Reviews > Strength

Strength by Carrie Butler

Dec 17, 2012

bookshelves: received-for-review

I really, really enjoyed SO much about this book!

Im pretty sure this is Carrie Butler's debut novel, and i have to give her full praise for the way she writes. The characters really came alive for me, and i could totally 'hear' their voices. The storyline moves quickly, without any slow points, but isnt rushed. I was really hooked on this book from the very first pages. There's nothing groundbreaking about this storyline- ive read much the same thing plenty of times before, but Carrie's writing really made this one a stand out for me.

I'd say for the first 80%, Strength really reads like a contemporary romance novel. A lot of the paranormal elements don't appear until much later in the book. Its mentioned in parts, to set it up, but the main story line follows the budding relationship between Wallace and Rena. I love Rena! She has so much spunk and attitude, and she just plain cracked me up in parts. Some of her lines were so clever and funny that i had to go straight to goodreads to quote her. :) I love that Carrie took so much time in building the relationship between them. Yay for no instalove!

Strength was absolutely headed for a 5 star rating from me, until the ending. It wasn't that it was bad, it just wasn't quite what i was expecting. A lot of (paranormal) information, and some new characters are thrown at you in that last 20% and i found it a bit confusing. The picture in my head went from crystal clear, to a bit fuzzy as i tried to follow what was happening.

Nevertheless, Strength was a great read, and I'll definitely be looking forward to reading the sequel.

*Although Strength is classed as New Adult, and is about early 20's characters in college, the language and heat level were both pretty tame, so if that sort of thing offends you about novels, then you'll be fine with this book*

*I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. This does not in any way affect my opinion of the book*
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Strength.

December 17, 2012 – Shelved
December 18, 2012 – Shelved as: received-for-review
January 6, 2013 – Started Reading
Finished Reading
January 8, 2013 –
12.0% "So far, so good!!!!! Looking forward to reading more"
January 10, 2013 –
24.0% "'I just gave myself a penis, didnt I?' Lol!!!! The more I read of this, the more I think Rena is awesome!"
January 12, 2013 –
50.0% ":)"
January 13, 2013 –
52.0% "'I think I'll call you AssCole' bahaha! I love Rena! Chick has some serious attitude! :)"
January 14, 2013 –