Melanie's Reviews > The Gangster

The Gangster by C.S. Poe

F 50x66

Outstanding, thoughtful, moving

Rating: 4.5🌈

Special Agent Gillian Hamilton, healed from the events that occurred in The Engineer, is back home in New York City. And he’s anticipating a very special New Year’s Eve celebration if everything goes smoothly.

But this is Gillian , so no. He’s actually not healed yet, not completely and hasn’t said anything. His feelings about his reunion are complicated by his job, the need to hide his sexuality, and his insecurities. So huge!

Poe has made this man come alive in such a short time that we feel him actually vibrating with his thoughts while trying to bring down a fleeing criminal. Gillian may be a powerful magic caster but emotionally he’s vulnerable, a aspect to him that makes us feel even more connected to him .

Then there’s another unexpected complication from within his office for him to deal with.

Poe narratively threatens Gillian’s foundation on several levels while throwing him in the form of Gunner, the support he needs , emotionally and physically.

Just as Gunner is starting to open up to Gillian, the mystery of the mechanical men, the illegal magical weapons, and the devastating consequences it’s having on the City are tearing away at Gillian. It’s reawakening horrifying memories, causing his deeply buried secrets to raise barriers between himself and Gunner.

This story is more provoking, emotionally thoughtful, and horrific than The Engineer. It ends in a heartbreaking cliffhanger.

Luckily, The Doctor, the next novel in the series, can be read immediately so that cliffhanger is dealt with.

I’m headed to that story now.

Brilliant writing and character development. The Gangster (Magic and Steam #2) by C. S. Poe has so many incredible and layered personalities here , Addison and Monroe, that you just feel each is such a keeper too. Along with the main couple that’s currently breaking our hearts.

Poe’s imaginative storyline gives us new steampunk elements, magical mechanical men, and more as the mystery expands, together with beautifully rendered characters.

This is a series and book to absolutely have on your #MustRead lists.

I’m highly recommending them.

Magic & Steam series to date:
🔹The Engineer #1
🔹The Gangster #2
🔹The Doctor #3

Another outstanding cover.
Cover art: Reese Dante

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gangster.

Started Reading