Kelly (and the Book Boar)'s Reviews > Haunted

bookshelves: read-in-2014, creepy-books

Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

4.5 Stars

WRITER’S RETREAT:

ABANDON YOUR LIFE FOR THREE MONTHS.

Just disappear. Leave behind everything that keeps you from creating your masterpiece. Your job and family and home, all those obligations and distractions – put them on hold for three months. Live with like-minded people in a setting that supports total immersion in your work. Food and lodging included free for those who qualify. Gamble a small fraction of your life on the chance to create a new future as a professional poet, novelist, screenwriter. Before it’s too late, live the life you dream about. Spaces very limited.

A group of strangers responds to this advertisement and find themselves locked away – literally. With no way out and a cast of characters who aim to make their own personal experience worse than anyone else’s, the group soon finds themselves with no heat, little electricity and, let’s say, only unconventional food sources.

A novel woven together with short stories and “poems” – a reader like me who generally doesn’t appreciate the short story gets the best of both worlds. This is Palahniuk at his best. Worst???? I don’t even fucking know anymore. God he’s twisted. And awesome. And barf-inducing.

Whoops, wrong Barf.

Palahniuk immediately goes off the rails with the story “Guts”.

If you can make it through that tale, you’ll be able make it through the rest of the book – but not without asking yourself the question

If you’re extra lucky, you’ll find yourself being asked by your family members “why do you have that horrified look on your face?” and get a chance to share your experiences with the whole gang . . .

Family bonding at its best.

Oh Chuck, you sick bastard. When you’re on – you are ON, and I am left speechless. Recommended to????? If I want a clear conscience the answer should be ABSOLUTELY NO ONE, but in reality???? EVERYONE.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Haunted.

December 17, 2012 – Shelved
March 18, 2014 – Started Reading
March 18, 2014 –
5.0% "Opting to start this while eating lunch was probably not the brightest idea I've ever had . . . \n \n "
March 18, 2014 –
10.0% ""back-alley foot jobs"\n \n *snort*\n \n "
March 23, 2014 – Finished Reading
March 25, 2014 – Shelved as: read-in-2014
March 25, 2014 – Shelved as: creepy-books

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Note to self: Don't read Kelly's reviews while eating lunch.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) *snort*

Hey, I reviewed Texts from Bennett today - you had a chance to play it safe ; )

message 3: by Nefariousbig (new)

Nefariousbig Jeff wrote: "Note to self: Don't read Kelly's reviews while eating lunch."

Note to self: remember to send Jeff a barf bag for xmas.

message 4: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Just send me a case of bourbon.

message 5: by Nefariousbig (new)

Nefariousbig Jeff wrote: "Just send me a case of bourbon."

And a very large barf bag! 8P