Amanda's Reviews > Beautiful Stranger

Beautiful Stranger by Christina Lauren

bookshelves: 2013, print-books, 2017, audio-books, kindle
Read 2 times. Last read August 5, 2017 to August 6, 2017.

This review is also posted here.

The summary for Beautiful Stranger starts with "a charming British playboy" and goodness gracious if that isn't true. I can almost say that I loved BS more than Beautiful Bastard, and that is huge. My love for it was great. There's something about about Max Stella though that made me not only swoon, but fan my blushing cheeks too. He was also a nice guy, not at all what I expected him to be, which is fantastic! I love when a story surprises me.

Max Stella has quite the reputation in New York City. He's almost constantly mentioned in gossip articles and often photoed with various women. There are even paparazzi that follow him, trying to get the goods on him when they can. From the outside looking in, it appears that he is only out for a good time, using women and then throwing them away when he's done. It's easy to see why people view him as the playboy but there's so much more to Max. He is a caring, charming, smart business man with so many layers. It was fun to see those layers revealed as the story built. I loved loved loved Max. I can't say those words too many times. He was a great character.

Sara Dillion has just moved to NYC from Chicago, after ending a long term relationship with her cheating jerk of an ex fiance. She'd had no idea all those years she spent with him were fake. Or that he'd been using her to further his career. Devastated, Sara decides she's not going to get involved with another man. No more relationships for her. One night out with friends leads to one sexy, steamy scene in a club with a Stranger. Once the encounter is over, they go their separate ways, except Sara keeps running into the debonair man! It's almost like he's following her, turning up in the most random places.

One of my favorite parts about these two characters is their chemistry. It's intense, but not only on a sexual level. There is a lot of fire between them; arguments and hard headedness everywhere. They are both incredibly strong willed and that makes me love them, especially Sara. It's nice and refreshing to find a female character in this type of novel and have her not be weak or simpering. She's strong, strong enough to stand up for what she wants when it comes to her career and life. She has guts. I think that is one of the things that Max is drawn to. There's a brain in Sara's head and she uses it.

The progression of Sara and Max's story is so well paced that I never once got bored or felt rushed. I saw their relationship grow slow and steady. I saw them both learn about themselves and each other. They evolved into a great pairing. I really can't say enough how great this story was. I wanted to start over from the beginning before I'd even finished it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beautiful Stranger.

Quotes Amanda Liked

Christina Lauren
“Women don't always want to be treated like we're delicate, or rare, or somehow more precious. We want to be wanted. We want sex to be just as raw as you do.”

Christina Lauren
“When I say ‘I love you’ I don’t mean that I love what being with you does for my career, or I love how often you’re willing to shag. I mean I love you. I love making you laugh, and seeing how you react to things, and getting to know the little things about you. I love who I am with you, and I’m trusting you not to hurt me.”
tags: love, max

Christina Lauren
“What does ‘I love you’ even mean? It’s weird how different three words can feel. I mean, I’ve said it before but it’s never felt so… big, you know? I’m not sure it meant the same thing then. Like, I was too young to get it. Is that insane? You think I’m insane. But I’m not. I’m just… new to this, I think. Honestly, I think I’m new to this.”

“I know you’re saying something profound, but it’s hard to focus when your tits are out.”

December 17, 2012 – Shelved
July 3, 2013 – Started Reading
July 3, 2013 – Shelved as: 2013
July 3, 2013 –
page 61
17.68% "O. M. G. Where's a Max Stella when you need him?!"
July 5, 2013 –
page 81
23.48% ""Lying liar who lies all the lies." Lmao"
July 14, 2013 –
page 200
July 18, 2013 –
page 237
68.7% "Where is my own Max Stella?"
July 25, 2013 –
page 285
82.61% "That last chapter. Wow. Yes. His thoughts during that huge transition in their relationship; perfection."
July 29, 2013 – Finished Reading