Michaela's Reviews > Boredom

Boredom by Alberto Moravia

bookshelves: books-i-own, fiction, favorites, reflective-prose, romantic-tragedy

I want to go as far as to say that this has got to be one of the finest, most psychologically captivating novels I have ever read. I've given it 4 stars, because although necessary in hindsight, the beginning was very difficult to read. I almost bailed out because of the slow and in some places stagnant narration, which made it hard to tell which direction the novel would ulitimately end up taking. I'm so glad that I stuck it out.

Boredom is the story of Dino, a rich, failed painter who is disconnected from and unable to grasp reality, and so, overcome with boredom, a boredom he thinks is not in-line with the type people usually mean when they employ the term. He happens upon Cecila, an attractive, elusive, seventeen-year old girl and ultimately destroys himself through trying to possess her.

This novel is rife with fascinating character relationships. First, there is Dino's pitiful relationship with his mother, of whom we are afforded only a glimpse of character, but Moravia's skilfull weaving of diaologue with first person narrtive allows us to peer far enough into her psyche tp understand her emotional turmoil and leave us curious as to how deep the troubles in her relationship with Dino go. Amongst these, you are again only afforded glimpses of Dino's relationship with Cecila, Cecilia's with the deceased artist Balestrieri, and the also Cecilia's with her parents.

I'd like to say that Moravia's work is a careful and self-conscious analysis of the desperation of love and the destructive nature of intense carnal desire, but really it's about much more than that. Really, it's a bold statement about what one should find if they are to unashamedly explore the recesses of the human soul. It's a piece of work that I feel I can't do the justice it deserves in a rushed review, written off the back of drunken infatuation, at 9am on a Monday morning.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boredom.

Quotes Michaela Liked

Alberto Moravia
“You can't think on purpose about somebody or something. Either you think about them naturally or you don't think at all.”
Alberto Moravia, Boredom