Sharon's Reviews > The Madness of Crowds

The Madness of Crowds by Louise Penny

bookshelves: mystery

After several months of reading difficult, academic, non-fiction titles, I knew I needed a murder mystery to dig into a quick read. I used to turn to Sue Grafton, but now I turn to Louise Penny. While this book (#17 in the series) came out last summer, I have wanted to read it without knowing what her theme or subject was. As usual, it didn't take me long to put all things down in my spare time and pick up my Kindle. To my surprise it was very up-to-date in its topic with all the familiar characters from Three Pines coming out of the Covid-19 pandemic having all been fully vaccinated.

With ethical decisions and the choices individuals make as well as the loud voices around us in society that prey on our fear and vulnerability, Penny offers a story that blends all of these topics. Despite the pattern of most of Penny's titles in which crime seems to be a regular occurrence in this tiny Canadian village with too many of the citizens connected to a crime, it was a great diversion for reading in my summer spot outside. A fan of Julian of Norwich, I was amused to read how Penny took the phrase, "All shall be well. All manner of things shall be well" to a different interpretation for our times.

Looking forward to #18 to come out this November. I wonder what current event she is tapping into this time - there is so much evil in the world imagine her keyboard might construct.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Madness of Crowds.

June 19, 2022 – Started Reading