Jenny (Reading Envy)'s Reviews > Heartburn

Heartburn by Nora Ephron

Dec 16, 2012

bookshelves: audiobook, read2013, foodie
Recommended to Jenny (Reading Envy) by: Eric Rabkin

This is Nora Ephron's first novel, and I imagine her death reinvigorated interest in her oeuvre. I had not read any of her books, but of course You've Got Mail and Sleepless in Seattle rank in my top ten movies of all time, and I never ever get tired of them. Ever. (So now you know my guilty pleasure!) This book also became a movie starring Meryl Streep and Jack Nicholson, which I will be watching this weekend.

When I saw that Random House Audio was releasing this on audio with Meryl Streep as the narrator, I jumped at the chance to review it.*

The basic story of Heartburn is a cookbook author who discovers her husband is in love with another woman. As such there are recipes throughout the book, told in narrative form as part of the story. After poking the internet, I discovered that the recipes are actually Nora's personal favorite recipes.

For this baker, I will not be able to resist making the key lime pie recipe. For one thing, it is frozen instead of baked, and for another, it plays a key moment in the story. Haha, get it, key. The other recipe I've marked is the peach pie. Stay tuned for that!

Meryl is a wonderful audiobook performer and I hope she does many more. I know she had a personal connection with this story and this author, but still, her ebullience comes across just as much as it does on screen, making the story more enjoyable than it probably is otherwise. I say that because I'm not sure I like the story, really. It is quite a bit lighter than what I usually read, and I don't want to knock it for that, but the main character is a bit obnoxious.

*I did get a free copy in exchange for an honest review. We have to say such disclaimers now due to some recent ruling. I am not obligated to like or even finish it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heartburn.

December 16, 2012 – Shelved
July 11, 2013 – Started Reading
July 11, 2013 – Shelved as: audiobook
July 11, 2013 –
page 50
"I'm listening to this because it is read by MEryl who can do no wrong"
July 12, 2013 – Shelved as: read2013
July 12, 2013 – Shelved as: foodie
July 12, 2013 – Finished Reading

Heather Fineisen I may have to check this out on audio. How does she narrate the recipes?

Jenny (Reading Envy) Heather wrote: "I may have to check this out on audio. How does she narrate the recipes?"
She basically just reads them in a narrative way, like "Take 2 cups of flour and....." so kind of combines the amounts with the directions.

message 3: by Holly (new) - added it

Holly I didn't know THE Meryl did audiobooks! I'll definitely be listening to this one.

Jenny (Reading Envy) Holly wrote: "I didn't know THE Meryl did audiobooks! I'll definitely be listening to this one."
I hope it isn't the last! I loved the book Colin Firth read too.

message 5: by Holly (new) - added it

Holly What did he read?? (It could be the proverbial phone book and I'd buy it!)

Jenny (Reading Envy) Holly wrote: "What did he read?? (It could be the proverbial phone book and I'd buy it!)"
I felt the same way, and I'd read it already and still bought it.

The End of the Affair

Heather Fineisen I like this even mire once I discovered it was loosely based on her relationship with ex Bob Woodward. I'll have to check out the movie!

Jenny (Reading Envy) Heather wrote: "I like this even mire once I discovered it was loosely based on her relationship with ex Bob Woodward. I'll have to check out the movie!"
It sounds like most of the book is loosely her life! Her recipes, her relationship, and really there isn't much else in the story. If she was also in group therapy, well there you, that's everything!

Preethi Now there is a real reason for me to move to audio books...
also, will watch this movie soon.