Renee 's Reviews > The Moose at the Manger

6120471
Dec 16, 2012

bookshelves: kids-books
Read in December, 2012

My son (6) and I read and reviewed this book for http://MotherDaughterBookReviews.com. Here's what we have to say:

SON SAYS:

This story is about a moose who gets lost and meets Star Bright who takes her to find Mom and Dad after she meets Baby Jesus. The pictures in the book are good and I like them. The main character is Muse the Moose and I liked her. Like Muse, I did get lost one time in Safeway and couldn't find my Mom. I was scared because people were following me. My favorite part of the story is when Star Bright flies Muse to different parts of the world. That looked like fun. I didn't like when the moose got lost because it made me sad. I felt sad when Muse was lost, but then I felt good when Star Bright brought her to her parents. I learned that I shouldn't wander off by yourself and family is important. I think boys and girls under 41 would like it because my Mom is 41 [actually I'm 29 forever, thank you very much] and she liked it.

MOM SAYS:

What I liked and disliked:

The Moose at the Manger tells the story of Muse a young Moose who gets separated from her family on a cold and snowy Christmas Eve. She is found by Star Bright - a magical star who transports Muse through time and space to witness the birth of Baby Jesus. As Muse becomes reunited with her family, we are reminded of the real miracle of Christmas and the joy and love shared within families.

Lisa Tortorello brings a unique twist to the story of Christmas by introducing us to Muse the Moose, who is brought magically before Christ the night he is born; thus the Moose at the Manger. As we approach Christmas, it is easy to get caught up in the holiday craze with excessive baking, shopping, Christmas concerts, and other responsibilities. It's no wonder the true meaning of Christmas is often lost on children who are too busy making their Christmas wish list and debating whether Santa Claus really exists. Muse reminds us that through remembering and honouring Christ's birth, we are celebrating His love and our love for one another. The book has a beautiful and important message.

I really enjoyed the illustrations in the book. Muse the Moose is a likable character that I think kids can relate to well. The author has developed a line of products based on Muse including a Teacher's Guide, a colouring book, and a 3D version of the book with glasses included. For more information, visit Muse the Moose's website. The only thing I would say is that some of the illustrations are repetitive; in particular where Muse and Star Bright meet. But, overall, the illustrations are bright and kid-friendly. I can see Muse being further developed as a character in another story.

One other small issue is that I felt that the book ended a bit abruptly. It ends with Muse saying "I was the moose at the manger", which on some level makes sense, but I think that ending with a statement underlying the main message of the book would have improved the flow. Ending with the second last paragraph I think would have been better (in my humble opinion). Here is the last line in that paragraph:

The wonderful gift of love encircled them all as they gathered round the Christmas tree honoring the birth of Jesus and sharing in the joy of Muse's safe return.

I think that sums up the book so beautifully.

My bottom line:

My kids and I really enjoyed this sweet little Christmas picture book and we would read other books based on the character, Muse the Moose. I would recommend this book to children aged 3+.

* The Moose at the Manger was provided to us by the author free-of-charge in exchange for our honest review.*
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Moose at the Manger.