Kathryn Bashaar's Reviews > The Trial of Fallen Angels

The Trial of Fallen Angels by James Kimmel Jr.

liked it

The premise of this book was intriguing to me: dead people in the afterlife, on trial to defend their lives. The lives of the main character, her murderer, and some of the others whose defense she witnesses, are all intertwined in unexpected ways, and people are not as black and white as they seem. I did like the point made at the end, that mercy and love should triumph over justice, but overall the book was a little disappointing, just a big, weird, kind of incoherent fantasy of what an afterlife would be like. It didn't hold water philosophically or theologically, in my opinion. Some readers might not mind that; they might enjoy the fantasy and feel satisfied that a point was made. But, for me, if a book promises to have a philosophical premise, even portrayed fictionally, then that premise should be consistent and well-developed and have some internal logic. It should make sense in some way, or I'm disappointed. I didn't think this portrayal of the afterlife made any sense. It was all hippy-dippy and kind of sloppy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Trial of Fallen Angels.

December 16, 2012 – Shelved