Laura's Reviews > A Life Drawing: Recollections of an Illustrator

A Life Drawing by Shirley Hughes

Mar 01, 2009

Read in February, 2009

Oh, I enjoyed this book so much! I'd read Hughes's 'My Naughty Little Sister' books to my elder daughter, who had some naughty little sister problems of her own to contend with, and had fallen in love with the illustrations.
In this coffee table-sized book, Hughes tells a thorough and compelling (especially so to a fellow artist like me) version of her long life. I was fascinated by her personal glimpses into the world of the professional illustrator, a world that has changed greatly in Hughes's sixty-year career. It is a major strength of this book that Hughes gives us a clear picture of the stresses of historical events not only on her personal biography, but also on that of her profession and, to a large extent, on popular culture, as well.
She's generous in her discussion of other artists and includes many examples of their work along with her own, in this richly visual autobiography.
Fun to read, a real joy to look at, this book gets my highest recommendation.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Life Drawing.

message 1: by Jana (new) - added it

Jana Bouc This sounds fabulous. I'm adding it to my list right now!

message 2: by Jana (new) - added it

Jana Bouc I tried to find the book at all 4 of the local and county library systems in my area and none had it. I did find it on Amazon and at your recommendation have ordered it. I'm sure I'll enjoy it!