Heather's Reviews > Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll

it was ok
bookshelves: read-alouds, school-books-kid-books

This is a weird one. The more I read the more I'm okay with the weirdness. Does that say something about me? I thought at first I wouldn't read it to my kids because it's too strange, but I'm thinking now I might. They just might like it. We'll see how it ends. Am I lame that I've never read this before?

Okay, done with them both. Alice in Wonderland was okay. Still weird. Weird and I didn't understand it. Through the Looking Glass took weird to a whole new level. A bad level. The whole time I was reading it I was thinking, "Is Carroll on crack? This makes no sense." And then I thought maybe I needed to be on crack to understand it. I've had crazy dreams sort of like this, all disjointed and random and all, but that doesn't mean I want to read a book about psycho dreams. And what's up with shaking the poor kitten all the time?

I might read Wonderland to the kids. I won't read Through the Looking Glass.

And does anyone really know what this all means? Because if it's "just for fun", it wasn't.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass.

February 28, 2009 – Shelved
Started Reading
March 21, 2009 – Shelved as: read-alouds
March 21, 2009 – Shelved as: school-books-kid-books
March 21, 2009 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)

Laura If you truly wish to know and understand then I would suggest reading Martin Gardner's 'The Annotated Alice' as he explains the jokes, nonsense, etc. that is throughout both stories. Much of this are items that were popular and commonly known in the Victorian era so it can be a little confusing to the modern reader. You may still end up not enjoying the book as others do, but it will give you some insight to the story.

Shwetar I totally agree! I couldn't understand what Looking glass was all about! As much as I thought that 'wonderland' was good 'looking glass' was a bit too much.

Rachel I know just what you mean. It's...weird. I'm surprised that this book was so popular a long time ago. Did it not like...scare them!? Haha, it's not really bad or anything, it's just psychedelic... if that makes any sense.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

the book had no purpose it was just random stuff put in a book!!!!i cant believe it i mean i read older books and there not as confusing as this one

Jonathan Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is a great book, but I agree with you entirely about Through the Looking Glass. It is a horrible book. It doesn't seem like the same author wrote it. Lewis Carroll must have been really pressed for cash at the time to turn up something so awful.

Tiffany My version (Penguin Books, Edited with notes by Hugh Haughton) of both Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass had very helpful notes at the end of the books. Referring to the footnotes throughout both books really helped me to understand the true meaning behind the words and the many allusions that Carroll incorporated within both works. I truly enjoyed both AAIW and TLG, and I feel much of my enjoyment is owed to the help the footnotes gave me.

Christa I have grown up listening to Alice in Wonder and Through the Looking glass and the more I listen the more I understand. So I have one bit of wisdom for the confused reader. You are supposed to be confused and bewildered and befuddled! The main character herself, is confused and bewildered and befuddled. This is a children's book, written by a man who had not lost sight of the fantasy of childhood. Children live in a world where everything is confusing. Alice's dreams are filled with bits and pieces of the grownup world that she doesn't understand. Reading these books really makes me feel like a little kid.
Oh, one last thing, little kids love these books because they are ridiculous and don't talk down to them like alot of kids books do.
Happy reading!!

Tiffany I like your point of view, Christa. :)

marcus dalton Ironically enough, there's no real evidence that Carroll did any hardcore drugs like crack and LSD wasn't even invented during his time. I think the man was a genius but a bit insane. Funny how all unquestionable geniuses are considered socially incompetent.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

No crack... but he drank mushroom tea... I love this book!

Katie Farnsworth Hahaha you dudes. Brilliant book.

message 12: by Aliaa (new) - added it

Aliaa El-faham hhhhhhhh despite the fact i loved both books and gave them five stars ,i loved ur review, i felt the same while reading it" got used to weirdness" but i enjoyed it though

Jwaher well i think thats the beauty of "through the looking glass"

Philip Though Alice's Adventures in Wonderland may seem nonsensical, Lewis Carroll was actually a logician and employs formal logic throughout the novel. Much of the novel was meant to teach various logical fallacies and how valid arguments can be unsound and so on. Here are a few specific examples, but there are many more.

message 15: by Laura (new)

Laura K Agree with you. Classics or not, I can't stand either of these books and never could.

message 16: by Doug (new) - rated it 4 stars

Doug Wampler It's really sad when people don't get imagination and whimsy

Markella It's because his storytelling is similar to a kids imagination . I just finished it and I found the weirdness very familiar , it reminds me of my childhood dreams

message 18: by Zac (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zac C.C The book is meant for it to be weird. It is a reflection on childhood, on what is real and what is not. As for shaking kittens, well it's a 7 and a half. Cut her some slack, and tell your kids that it's wrong, and they can enjoy the nonsense.

message 19: by Zac (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zac C.C Err... sorry. 7 and half year old...