Elizabeth's Reviews > Brideshead Revisited: The Sacred and Profane Memories of Captain Charles Ryder

Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh

bookshelves: england, europe, fiction

Wow, this book was dark. I've seen the movies and from those conjured up a story that had this dreamy quality of submerged attraction and envy--plus elegant old houses. But Brideshead Revisited the novel took me to a very dark and disturbing place. To me, the pieces that shone were the broken fragments of relationships: Charles and his horrible father, and the oppressive mother and Sebastian. Waugh deftly shows these strange, decaying bonds in a way that sticks with you, haunts you. I've always appreciated him as a writer; his dialogue is so facile it seems contemporary, his descriptions surprising, his characters unique and layered.

The fall into adultery while aboard transcontinental ship in the midst of a storm was masterful piece of writing. The protagonist's emotional descent became an almost a physical sensation of disorientation. I felt literally sea sick afterwards.

I'm not really sure how to sum up what to share about this book. I'm not sure I liked it--it certainly didn't make me feel happy after I read it. But I did appreciate that it pulled me in and took me to another place.

I feel sad now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brideshead Revisited.

December 14, 2012 – Started Reading
December 14, 2012 – Shelved
December 16, 2012 – Finished Reading
December 18, 2012 – Shelved as: europe
December 18, 2012 – Shelved as: england
December 18, 2012 – Shelved as: fiction

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Greg Elizabeth, GREAT point. This one is "Wuthering Heights" dark.

message 2: by SPIRITBEAR (new)

SPIRITBEAR I agree.It was surper dark.