Sath's Reviews > Captain Corelli's Mandolin

Captain Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernières

2056399
Feb 27, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: historical-fiction, reviewed, on-my-bookshelf, second-hand
Read from May 16 to 22, 2010

** spoiler alert ** When I was in the middle of this book I couldn't understand why it had such mediocre ratings. I thought it was really nicely written. I liked Doctor Iannis's writing his history of cephalonia that never remains unbiased from his own feelings. I loved Carlo and his heroism and tragedy. I loved Corelli and his morning opera. And I finally understood the only scene from the movie that I actually remember - Weber and the firing squad.
But then from that point on I discovered the reason for the ratings. Almost from that scene on it was an awful book. Truly Horrible ending.
We have to endure 50 years of pelagias life whilst she believes Corelli is dead, and never moves on. And then he comes back, after they've both wasted half their lives apart, and admits that he came back and spied on her every year, had thought she was married, but never actually bothered to ask.

It was so disappointing. Yes it was miserable, but it wasn't even a miserable you could appreciate, like a good angst. It was just truly a waste. A terrible waste of such a good story, such a good buildup.
Very disappointing.

The book should have ended with the german occupation, and then maybe a short epilogue with a happily ever after where they don't waste 50 years of their lives.

I enjoyed the first 2/3rds very much. But I would not recommend it to anyone ever. Ever.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Captain Corelli's Mandolin.

05/16 page 62
05/18 page 168
38.44% "Not sure why this has some low ratings, it's pretty ok so far. Maybe the last 2/3rds has problems?"
07/25 marked as: read