Libby's Reviews > The Thief

The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner

Feb 26, 2009

bookshelves: young-adult, rereadable, award-winner, chapter-book, fantasy, currently-reading
Reading for the 2nd time. Most recently started March 6, 2018.

Intriguing quest-story about a thief who's loud proclamation of his skills gets him in serious trouble. As his ticket out, he agrees to steal something for the King's Magus...

(March 2010) Need to reread...
(March 24, 2010) Rereading and remembering why I enjoyed it so much.
(March 28, 2010) Read it again (finished it Wednesday night, the 24th, before going to bed, which I definitely should NOT have done), loved it again.

More about why this book is great: there is a serious twist near the end of the story, but if you know to look for it (on a second reading), you can find clues of it. Also, all of the plot's loose ends tie up, and they MAKE sense in the world of the story.

There is an incursion of the supernatural, but again, it fits into the world of the book.

Gen is an awesome protagonist. He's even more awesome because he has no compunction about complaining when he's hungry, tired, hurt, or required to mount a horse. I also like the minor characters of Sophos and Pol--even the magus grows on me.

The setting is almost a character in itself.

Definitely one to read and reread. Now I've caught myself up to speed enough to read the second in the series (The Queen of Attolia).

March 2018
Reading again so I can reread the whole series, including the new one that just arrived in my library!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Thief.

Started Reading