Mounica's Reviews > Saving the World and Other Extreme Sports

Saving the World and Other Extreme Sports by James Patterson

Feb 26, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: sci-fi

This book was okay. It seems that each new book in the Maximum Ride series is a bit worse than the last one...

First of all, the ending was totally lame. It just seemed too easy of a solution and came too abruptly.

Also, there are still a lot questions left unanswered. Maybe I might found out the answers in the next book. I better.

In addition, more importantly, the plot is just all over the place. A lot of events in the book aren't significant, but rather there to just lengthen the book. For example, the football game, the whole Max's parents business with first--wait, oops. I'll leave it there; I can't give any more away.

Okay, so, what's good about the book?

I like Max/Fang relationship; it spices up the story.

I like the flock--they're cool characters.

I like the sarcastic tone when Max narrators and the humorous conversations.

Over all, the book is worth reading especially if you want more of the story. Yes, there are a few flaws here and there, but the fast-paced and exciting "ride" is enjoyable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Saving the World and Other Extreme Sports.

Quotes Mounica Liked

James Patterson
“Basically, I have two speeds.... Hostile or smart-aleck. Your choice.”

James Patterson
“Fang felt a cold jolt, then dismissed it. Max wasn’t dead. He would know, somehow. He would have felt it. The world still felt the same to him; therefore, Max was still in it.”

James Patterson
“Sighing, she gave a brief nod. “I was supposed to win. I was supposed to finish you off. They never counted on you winning. And then you didn’t kill me. It was awful.”
“You’re welcome,” I said, feeling fresh anger ignite. “I’ll try not to humiliate you by letting you live next time.”
(Max II to Max)”

James Patterson
“What are you doing here?” [ndr prison]
Selling Girl Scout cookies,” I said. “Want some? The Samoas are terrific.”
(Max II to Max)”

James Patterson
“Fang’s hand gently smoothed my hair off my neck. My breath froze in my chest, and every sense seemed hyperalert. His hand stroked my hair again, so softly, and then trailed across my neck and shoulder and down my back, making me shiver.
I looked up. 'What the heck are you doing?'
'Helping you change your mind,' he whispered, and then he leaned over, tilted my chin up, and kissed me.”

James Patterson
“We will destroy you,” the Flyboys droned. “You have no escape.” That was the most imaginative, threatening thing the whitecoats had programmed these ’droids to say? “Talk about lame,” Fang muttered.”

James Patterson
“Max, you're the last of the hybrids who still has...a soul.' ... 'She doesn't have soul,' Gazzy scoffed. 'Have you ever seen her dance?”

James Patterson
“I didn't think he was a robot...but I did wonder if his emotions had been designed out of him. Of course, with a guy, how could I tell? Ha ha!”

James Patterson
“They turned to Angel. "We will call you Little One," the leader said, obviously deciding to dispense with the whole confusing name thing.
"Okay," said Angel agreeably. "I'll call you Guy in a White Lab Coat." He frowned.
"That can be his Indian name," I suggested.”

James Patterson
“Max, if you survive your final test, can you steal me one of those magic outfits for me?"
I'll try to get one for each of us. Hey! 'If'?”

James Patterson
“What I said yesterday didn't mean anything! I love everyone in the flock! Plus, it was the Valium talking!"
"Uh-huh. You just keep telling yourself that. You looove me."
Max: (tries to punch him)
"Pick a tree. I'll go carve our initials in it."
Max: (screams and runs into bathroom)”

James Patterson
“Fang: "There is one bright side to this."
Max: "Yeah? What's that?" The new and improved Erasers would mutilate us before they killed us?
Fang: *grins* You looove me. (holds out arms) You love me this much.
Max: My shriek of appalled rage would probably be heard in California, or maybe Hawaii.”

James Patterson
“Fang: “Let them blow up the world, and global-warm it, and pollute it. You and me and the others will be holed up somewhere, safe. We’ll come back out when they’re all gone, done playing their games of world domination."
Max: “That’s a great plan. Of course, by then we won’t be able to go outside because we’ll get fried by the lack of the ozone layer. We’ll be living at the bottom of the food chain because everything with flavor will be full of mercury or radiation or something! And there won’t be any TV or cable because all the people will be dead! So our only entertainment will be Gazzy singing the constipation song! And there won’t be amusement parks and museums and zoos and libraries and cute shoes! We’ll be like cavemen, trying to weave clothes out of plant fibers. We’ll have nothing! Nothing! All because you and the kids want to kick back in a La-Z-Boy during the most important time in history!”
Fang: “So maybe we should sign you up for a weaving class. Get a jump start on all those plant fibers.”
Max: "I HATE YOU!!!"
Fang: "NO YOU DOOOOOON'T!!"
Voice: "You two are crazy about each other.”

02/26/2009 page 1