V H's Reviews > Mr. Toppit

Dec 12, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: bookcrossing

It was weird...

The book is divided into two parts. the first one was quite good, I liked learning about the characters, but in part two it was mostly just confusing. It was the way it was written, it was a bit confusing in the first part as well, but somehow the second part was worse.

It felt like all through the book hardly any sentences, or thoughts, were finished properly. They tied up some loose ends in the second part, but it became boring to read because they used such a long time to get to the point. Normally a book might be a bit slow in the start but then get so exciting that I can't put it down, this book was the opposite. Whereas I liked the first part when I first got to know the characters, it just got more and more boring and confusing the further into it I got.

It's about a children's book author, Arthur, who dies in an accident, or maybe not...? A stranger, Laurie, is with him when the accident happens and she becomes a very big part in the lives of his family. The books that Arthur wrote is written about Luke, which is also the name of Arthur's son, who is not happy about having such a big role in the books. When Arthur dies a series of events transpires that makes his books really popular, which of course affects his family.

I didn't really like any of the characters by the end of the book and so I can't think of a "favourite" one.

I don't think I will keep this book, it will be a book crossing one when I get the chance to leave it somewhere.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mr. Toppit.