Prashant R's Reviews > A Suitable Boy

A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth

M 50x66
Feb 26, 2009

Read in May, 1991

I read this book, almost two decades ago, when it first released in 1991. I had just appeared for my 12th grade exams and was hungrily soaking up books, through my vacations. I borrowed it from my neighborhood "circulating" library in Bombay, for a princely sum of Rs 50/- (a single US $). This was also the first book by an Indian author i had read.The scope, the breadth and the range of characters, in this book, are breathtaking. I could associate with some of the characters and certainly the milieu. I took me,two weeks to devour this book. And i loved the book.

This book holds special memories for me This is the first book, i have bought from my first salary, in 1996. I also met Vikram Seth when he was at a promotional event for his book "Two Lives" in Chicago, in 2007. He autographed my copy of "Two Lives" and he also signed for my copy of "The Suitable Boy", when i told him about how special his book was for me.

I realize, that this is more a general "Suitable Boy" ramble, then a review. But really how many such books exist, which weave themselves irrevocably into your lives. I want to re-read this sometime. Waiting for a sabbatical or my retirement.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Suitable Boy.