Brittany (The Book Addict's Guide/Novelly Yours)'s Reviews > The Darkest Minds

The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken

bookshelves: ya, paranormal, arc-physical-copy, dystopian-apocalyptic-speculative, favorites, sci-fi, audiobook, re-reads
Recommended to Brittany (The Book Addict's Guide/Novelly Yours) by: Kristina (Gone Pecan)
Read 2 times. Last read April 14, 2018 to April 16, 2018.

Re-read completed 4/16/18: 4 stars
Okay, this was a very different feeling reading this the second time around. Still very enjoyable but I didn't LOVE it like I did the first time around. Five and a half years later, I've read a loooot of books (like literally 500 books since then!?!? That's insane to think about.) so I've read so many things. This was still a very solid novel and I've really been thinking about finishing the series ever since. I was intimidated by the second book because it was so large so I did an audio re-read of TDM (thank GOODNESS because I remembered almost nothing, not even exaggerating) and starting on with the rest of the series, finally!

Nearly perfection. I absolutely loved this book! I felt like I made a really good connection with the characters, it was a fascinating story line, and full of action. I'd recommend it to anyone!

Review originally posted on The Book Addict's Guide: I really, really enjoyed this book! I wasn’t quite sure exactly what I was getting into when I started and I have to say, I’m pleasantly surprised!! THE DARKEST MINDS is a combination of a dystopian world with paranormal abilities. We see the dystopian in the fact that the US is falling apart, broke and falling to shambles especially after the disease strikes the nation that takes the lives of most of America’s children. The ones who survive have been ones whose brains allow them to use incredible abilities of all kinds, one of which is our heroine, Ruby.

I really liked that we only spent some of the story’s time in the camps and quickly progressed to breaking out. I imagine the whole book could have taken place in the camps and it would have been substantial, but a far less interesting story. I think a lot of dystopian novels often have book one take place in a specific location and book two is what happens after they break free, and so often I’m disappointed in book two when that happens. In this way, I felt like I wouldn’t be let down by whatever the second book in this series has to offer!

I really loved the different abilities that we see amongst all the different kids and how well the handle these abilities. It was interesting to see the range of different gifts instead of just one. I felt like it made the interactions between the characters really interesting and like Ruby, each character had to go through figuring out how to use their ability without having it become a danger.

I also really liked the chase aspect of the story — I think since we’ve seen so many dystopians, the typical “government is after you” plot is getting a little old, but this didn’t feel like the same tired idea at all. There were many different layers of what Ruby and her friends had to run from as well as figuring out how to use these people to their advantage. The questions in the story run many layers deep!

Oh yeah and HOW ABOUT THAT ENDING. Holy cow, I was not expecting that! Boy oh boy. I cannot wait to see how the second book goes because I was just so gosh darn surprised at what just happened!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Darkest Minds.

December 11, 2012 – Shelved as: ya
December 11, 2012 – Shelved
December 11, 2012 – Shelved as: paranormal
December 21, 2012 – Started Reading
December 21, 2012 – Shelved as: arc-physical-copy
December 21, 2012 – Shelved as: dystopian-apocalyptic-speculative
December 21, 2012 –
page 16
3.28% "Page 16 and I'm hooked"
December 21, 2012 –