Noeleen's Reviews > The Storyteller

The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult

The Story Teller is a really excellent historical fiction offering by Jodi Picoult. Josef Weber, a former Nazi officer befriends a young girl, Sage. Sage’s grandmother, Minka, is a survivor of the holocaust. Josef has one request for Sage...that she kill him.

Minka’s story which makes up the majority of the book is set in the work camps and concentration camps of World War II. These were really horrific, heartbreaking, sickening and realistic accounts of this period, which were extremely well told and very well researched. An interesting perspective in this book was the account of how Josef, his brother and many other young men became committed to the ‘cause’ of Hitler’s Germany. It was seriously scary how easy it was to recruit many followers through words, actions and propaganda. There were however a couple of reasons which stopped me from awarding this book five stars. I did have some issues with Sage’s character at times. She just wasn’t a character that I fully warmed to as much as I wanted. I also found the bread making/baking descriptions initially interesting but then they became slightly boring at times, most especially near the beginning of the book. Personally, for me, these descriptions just went on and on unnecessarily.

The ability to ‘forgive’ is at the heart of this book and really makes the reader ponder on ‘blame’, ‘absolution’ and ‘pardon'....leading us to consider perhaps, to what end and in which circumstances, can we as human beings ever reach that state of true exoneration and forgiveness in our own hearts and minds. Overall, this is a page turner of a read which I thoroughly enjoyed and highly recommend. Picoult most definitely did not disappoint with this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Storyteller.

December 11, 2012 – Shelved
March 13, 2013 – Started Reading
March 15, 2013 –
March 15, 2013 –
March 16, 2013 –
March 18, 2013 –
March 18, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Dem (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dem Thanks Noeleen, I just added it, I had stopped reading Picoult books as I had found she tended to keep to a formula that was repetitive, but reading your review this really looks like something I would read.

Noeleen Dem wrote: "Thanks Noeleen, I just added it, I had stopped reading Picoult books as I had found she tended to keep to a formula that was repetitive, but reading your review this really looks like something I ..." I think you will really like it Dem, it's a lot different to her other books

Colette Loved your review, Noeleen...well said!

Noeleen Colette wrote: "Loved your review, Noeleen...well said!" thanks Colette!

Kelly Just starting this one today audio. Your review was exactly what I needed to make me want to start the book :)

Noeleen Kelly wrote: "Just starting this one today audio. Your review was exactly what I needed to make me want to start the book :)" I hope you enjoy it Kelly, I'm sure the audio will be good, I listened to another of her books on audio and it was very good with multiple narrators...