Jessica's Reviews > The Great Divorce

The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis

Feb 25, 2009

bookshelves: mbasa-book-club-reads

this was a really interesting read for me. i probably would never have picked this up on my own to read, but it was for a book club, so i'm glad i expanded beyond my usual sphere.

a lot of interesting concepts and thoughts about the after life and heaven and hell were brought up in the book. it was interesting to see all the different dialogues presented between the ghosts and spirits and to see how often human limitations in understanding and love resulted in selfishness and pride and an outright rejection of what would be the ultimate and in the end only possibility for true joy. i also really like the idea portrayed of heaven/light/good being so much greater and more powerful than hell/darkness/evil, that the one completely swallows up the other. also the idea implied in the dream of the possibility of constant progression if one CHOOSES the right path. the emphasis on agency was really striking to me.

anyway, i really liked the book and am looking forward to reading "the screwtape letters" for another book club next month.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Divorce.