Jeann (Happy Indulgence) 's Reviews > Gameboard of the Gods

Gameboard of the Gods by Richelle Mead

it was ok
bookshelves: netgalley, review-copy

For a futuristic society, Gameboard of the Gods is definitely not progressive.

In a world of religious extremists, RUNA (Republic of United North America) have established themselves as the superior state where their attitude, technology and lifestyle is clearly ‘better’ than others. Here, you’d encounter extreme castal segregation between the plebians (residents of RUNA) and patricians who are blonde hair and blue eyed and clearly different. All plebians look the same and have been conceived in a petrie dish whereas patricians are more superior because they’ve clung onto their cultural heritage. The plebians despise the patricians who live on old money and the patricians look down at disdain at the plebians who are the ‘lowly’ class. And then there are genmans who live in the rural areas, who are looked down upon by the plebians. It’s just a book full of cultural and race segregation and snobbery.

If you haven’t noticed already, there’s a lot of confusing, brand new concepts introduced here. This is only a small sample of what’s to come. Gameboard of the Gods is not an easy book to digest and read, and if you’re a fan of Richelle Mead’s previous paranormal books, this is on a league of its own in complex world building and new concepts.

If I didn’t read the blurb and hadn’t known the society was meant to be set in the future, I would have forgiven a lot of things. Despite the advanced technology, these people live like they’re back in Ancient Rome with the segregation and the punishing people for the worship of the Gods and slight hint of magic existing.

Continued on the Happy Indulgence Book Blog.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gameboard of the Gods.

December 10, 2012 – Shelved
March 28, 2013 – Shelved as: netgalley
March 28, 2013 – Shelved as: review-copy
May 23, 2013 –
5.0% "This will take a bit of getting used to."
May 25, 2013 –
19.0% "Getting a bit more interesting now"
May 27, 2013 –
35.0% "For a futuristic world, they sure seem like they're moving backwards with all the caste and race stuff."
May 28, 2013 –
56.0% "Ah, so that's why it's called Gameboard of the Gods."
Started Reading
May 30, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

Belinda Really?! Disappointing :(

DeAnna I'm at 50% and had to take a break because I'm just not feeling it. I haven't decided if I'm actually going to finish!

Jeann (Happy Indulgence) DeAnna, I regretted reading the book all the way through. I kept on thinking it would get better in my faith in Richelle but it didn't. But that is just my personal opinion.

B, it's a super complex story and I think it may have been a bit too ambitious. Not something I'd recommend to everyone and definitely wasn't my think.

Belinda i've already pre ordered my copy. i'll give it a go since i love all her stuff and keep an open mind...

DeAnna Well, if I'm not into it by 50%, I probably won't be, right?

Jeann (Happy Indulgence) Yeah, would be interested in your thoughts B. Pretty much DeAnna, it's a mission just to get to 50% TBH!

Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) Hmm, I might wait on this one.

DeAnna I actually finished it. I thought the second half was decent, but it was not easy to get through the first half.

Jeann (Happy Indulgence) What would you rate it DeAnna? I just thought the plot was set out in such a confusing way. She tried really hard not to make any info dumps but so much was introduced that she just dropped a new concept upon you and expected you to know it while not revealing it until 100 pages later.

DeAnna I'm really not sure. I gave it 3 stars on my blog, but I think I was being generous. It's more of a 2-2.5 I was leaning toward 2.5 when I wrote my review, so I rounded up to 3. I just haven't posted it here yet. lol