Melanie's Reviews > Last Gasp

Last Gasp by S.C. Wynne

F 50x66

sweet light cozy mystery with no romance

Rating: 3.5🌈

I’m a fan of the cozy mystery so I was interested when I saw this series by author S.C. Wynne.

It has all the elements one expects of the cozy mystery. Small town , Pearl Bay, where everyone knows everybody. Main character, Kip O’Connor, who’s lived there his entire life. And has a semi-unusual job, in this case a dog walking and animal day care business. With chatty employees who have a pipeline to the town’s gossip!

And a small town/village police chief who’s the would be romantic interest. Here it’s Police Chief Merrick Dawson, best friend of Kip’s older brother.

There’s a lot of history between Kip and Merrick, none of it pleasant as Kip was bullied by his brother and friends as a child. Something they’ve never apologized for.

I enjoyed the author’s characters and plots. It’s right along the lines of a cozy with several mysteries happening at once. And like any main character in this type of mystery,Kip, at one point, goes off to investigate on his own.

Unlike other novels where the plots and details are more gritty and the investigations are tightly realistic (and my expectations higher), the holes both in the exposition as well as in the small town police work just sort of blend together.

I think what bothers me most about the dynamics here between Kip and Merrick is the lack of communication. Merrick has known Kip all their lives. Merrick and Kip’s older brother played “pranks” on the much younger brother that to the present have caused emotional harm. Neither older man has ever apologized but expected Kip to “get over it”.

Even towards the end, after an explanation, there’s not a real connection or understanding of the harm that bullying causes.

Thats not a relationship or character that’s relatable for me.

The mysteries also had little complexity. While some might think that’s not a issue with a cozy, I’ve read many a cozy mysteries that layered their mysteries with greater depth and I’m missing that here.

The book ends with a promise of a friendship. And two more books in the trilogy.

I’ll probably save the rest for late summer reading.

If light cozy mystery with no romance is the thing for you, pick up Last Gasp (Kip O’Connor Mystery #1) by S.C. Wynne.

Kip O’Connor Mysteries :
🔹Last Gasp #1
🔹Last Date #2
🔹Last Chance #3

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Gasp.

May 27, 2022 – Started Reading