Kelsey's Reviews > My People

My People by Langston Hughes

My People, by Langston Hughes, is based off of one poem and put to photography by Charles R. Smith Jr. This Photographer does a brilliant job of taking several pictures of African Americans and showing their simple beauty in this book. Hughes’ poem is based on the beauty of the African American race. Although the poem is only a couple verses long, Smith spreads them out through several pages and puts a collection of photos with each line. Smith highlights different aspects of the African Americans in his pictures based on the words of Langston Hughes. On the last page, there is a compilation of all the models and photos that Smith had used in the book accompanied by the line from the poem, “of my people.” As a reader, I felt that Smith’s photography all put together at the end was a great way to end the book and summarize the poem.
This book is a brilliant use of photography and words. I can see this book being used in an intermediate or middle school class just because the poem has such a deep meaning. A teacher could use this book to introduce a unit based on the students’ culture. A project like this would be a great way to get to know the students and understand a little bit more about them. I recommend this book for the photography and poem because both are done beautifully.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My People.

Finished Reading