Andrea's Reviews > Every Day

Every Day by David Levithan

liked it
bookshelves: 2013, youngadult, magical-realism

A is a 16 year old who wakes up in the body of a different teenager of similar age and geography every day. Since this has been going on for as long as A can remember, A has adjusted and for the most part moves through life reading, playing video games, and trying not to have too big of an effect on those whose lives A occupies. That is, until A meets Rhiannon and everything changes.

One can't help but root for A as they deal with all of the trappings of first love with the additional unusual problems that accompanies A's peculiar circumstances. Every Day provides an excellent consideration of identity and authenticity, which we all begin to deal with around that time in our lives.

My reading of this public library book was colored by the fact that a teenager had read and annotated the book entirely through the lens of some kind of personal love triangle happening in her life between herself, her best friend/crush, and her present boy friend. She underlined all of the passages in the book about love (a fair amount), sometimes making notes about which of the young men to which each pertained. At the end she wrote in a dramatic, "Good Bye, Wes." I suppose we always bring our own experiences to bear as we read fiction, but it was very interesting (and occasionally exasperating) to read this particular story of teenage love and angst through the lens of another's love triangle.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every Day.