Brandi's Reviews > Empress

Empress by Karen Miller

Feb 24, 2009

did not like it
bookshelves: read-in-2009, fantasy

I couldn't finish reading this. I really did not want to read about a made up religion. There are far too many religions in real life that I could read about if I wanted to read about religion. That was all this book was about and it was tedious.

What really bothered me was that Hekat had rudimentary knowledge of language when the book started and the book was written in that way as well. I was expecting as she learned how to use words to make a complete sentence and when she learned how to read that the writing would change to reflect that. It did not. Instead I felt as if everyone had a rudimentary grasp of language and that Hekat didn't have very much to learn after all. It made the reading agonizing because the book read like a grade school chapter book and not an adult oriented novel.

Really it kind of reminded me of the Mongols during Genghis Khan's rule, only they roamed instead of having actual villages and they were far more interesting than the people in this book because they were real.

This book didn't make me feel as if I really should care at all what happened to any of the characters. It didn't once draw me in and leave me craving more.

I also have an inane hate for the 'F' word used in Fantasy books or science fiction books because really, that word it from our time not any other and it will soon be replaced by a new word in the future and replaced a different word in the past. If you are going to use swears in a fantasy or science fiction novel, you better be making up a new one, or using something from the past.

Not worth finishing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Empress.

February 24, 2009 – Shelved
March 17, 2009 –
page 72
March 22, 2009 –
page 111
March 22, 2009 –
page 237
33.05% "Too much made up religion and swearing (yet again...). I'm starting to think that I have lost the ability to find good books to read."
Started Reading