Carrie Ardoin's Reviews > Any Other Night

Any Other Night by Anne Pfeffer

bookshelves: contemporary, i-own-this, tour

Ryan Mills is pretty much like any other high school junior--in love with a beautiful, unattainable girl, best friends with guy who is like a brother, and no real clue about what he wants to do with his future. But one thing's different--his dad is an Oscar winning director, and neither of his parents are ever home. Ryan therefore has a particularly difficult time dealing with the accidental death of his best friend, Michael.

Then Ryan learns that Michael had a few secrets...and one of them is something that will change Ryan's life drastically. Ryan definitely did not dream of passing his junior year of high school in such a stressful way.

I must admit I was hooked on this book at the very beginning, as events moved quickly. But after Michael's death, the plot rather dragged for me. However, events improves towards the end, and I ended up enjoying this novel a great deal.

Ryan is a truly great guy, especially for a sixteen year old. He does harbor some resentment towards his parents, but after his explanation of why, I don't blame him. Even though his father is a world-famous director, Ryan is not a pretentious jerk. After Michael's death, he blames himself and feels he has some sort of cosmic debt to pay. I have a feeling that even before his best friend's death, he was still a nice kid, though.

I thought that Ryan and Emily's relationship moved sort of fast, and in the end I was happy with how things were between them. It felt like real life. I think the author has a gift for that; the whole time I was reading, I had no problems believing I was in the head of a teenage boy...and all the things that entails!

I loved that the plot dealt with so many intense moments that the majority of teens have to go through: fighting with your parents, losing your virginity, trying drugs, and much more. There were lots of really intense moments, but there were also some funny ones. The book had a great balance.

This book was about so much more than dealing with the death of a lifelong friend. Ryan grew a great deal throughout the course of the book, and I am truly impressed with the man he was growing into. I have no doubt that he will go on to do great things, independently of his father's name.

I commend the author for writing such a gripping novel, and I would be happy to read anything else released by her!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Any Other Night.

December 10, 2012 – Started Reading