Sheralyn's Reviews > The Rule of Four

The Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell

did not like it

I am becoming more and more baffled as to what it takes to become a New York Times Bestseller. But basically:

If you think books have too much show and not enough tell, if you're looking for a book with pages and pages of inconsequential back story, and most certainly, if you want to see how info dumping can be transformed into a art form, then by all means read this book!

I mean, I'm glad two childhood best friends went to college and used their collective degrees to write a book together, but so much of this book was unnecessary to read (there's a reason it's called back story. Some things the author just needs to know to keep cohesiveness, but omits for pacing)and the obligatory romance one-dimensional and disjointed.

The thing I remember most from the book is the (of course) random quote that there is no worse thief than a bad book.

Amen.

In short: the title was more intriguing than the actual book.

(I just got The Eight and now I'm afraid to read it because it has a number in its title.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rule of Four.

Started Reading
February 24, 2009 – Shelved
February 24, 2009 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Lisa (last edited Mar 13, 2009 06:47AM) (new)

Lisa I read "The Rule of Four" long ago and I didn't think it was anything to write home about either. But don't be afraid to read "The Eight." It's one of my all-time favorite books and I read it about once every couple of years.