Nichole (DirrtyH)'s Reviews > Night Embrace

Night Embrace by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Feb 24, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: abandoned

Man, oh man, did I try. I really, really did. I swear. But I'm just not ever going to finish this book.

So here's what I don't like about these books. It took me awhile to put my finger on it, but here's the bottom line. Come close so I can whisper it in your ear. Ready?

Sherrilyn Kenyon is a big dork.

That's right, I said it. She's trying to write (presumbly edgy) books about big, bad warriors in leather but she can't get the dialogue right because she's a big dork! No one has used the term "not" since 1991. (You know as in "Yeah, that'll happen - not!" Nope, not since 1991, and even then only 8 year old kids said it. This is only the most readily available example of lame dialogue - it certainly is not the only one. Kenyon is a dork which makes all of the characters in her books dorks. I like sharp dialogue, sue me.

The other big problem is that she has no sense of subtlety when it comes to the attraction between the hero and heroine. She likes to beat the reader over the head with it. Okay, I get it already! They're hot for each other. How about some story? Please?!

This particular book has some other weaknesses - namely that the plot is so deeply hidden behind all the sex and attraction and introduction of a myriad of new characters whose only purpose is to give her another hero for the next book that I simply got exhausted and gave up. I'm sure Talon found some way to get around his curse and they lived happily ever after. I just don't care how anymore. I'm done.

The only good thing about this book is what was good about the two that came before it, and presumably what will be good about the subsequent ones, and that is Talon's story.
The whole series is built around the premise of warriors who are only warriors because they suffered a great betrayal, and so far they all have really compelling betrayal stories. I liked reading about Talon's past.

And okay, both Talon and Sunshine are pretty likeable, but they're just not compelling in the way I need them to be.

So that's it. No more Dark Hunters for me. Sorry, guys.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night Embrace.

03/24/2009 page 54
03/03/2017 marked as: abandoned
show 5 hidden updates…

Jess How are you liking this one?

Nichole (DirrtyH) Oh my gosh, Jess, I was just logging on to complain about this book. I feel like I've been reading it since the beginning of time.
My two main complaints right now are 1. I think there's a plot tucked in there somewhere, but mostly it's just Sunshine and Talon finding convoluted reasons to go back and forth between her apt and his cabin to have sex. 2. The rest of the book is Kenyon introducing new character after new character after new character. "Meet all the people I'm going to write books about next! I want money!" I have a hundred pages left and I'm still waiting for some kind of action. She even managed to make Sunshine's kidnapping boring and tedious. I'm going to die of old age before this book ends.
Phew.
Aren't you glad you asked? :)

Unapologetic_Bookaholic This was the first PNR series I liked. So I guess, good or bad (writing, characters, plots, stories). I will continue. I even like the dreaded Dream Hunters. I do like some Dark Hunters over others. I have not found a series I like more than the Dark Hunters overall. Too bad you did not like =/.

Nichole (DirrtyH) I think this has to happen to everyone at least once, where you come across a series that everyone else is raving about, and it just does nothing for you. For me it's the Dark Hunters, and Sookie Stackhouse. I find Kenyon's writing to be heavy handed and lacking in that edge that I crave. I just don't see what everyone else loves, but that's what makes reading, and this site in particular, fun. Trying new things and discovering what you like and what you don't. I'm sorry I didn't like them, too, but it's just not my cuppa.

Kenjii, how far are you in the BDB series? You still prefer Dark Hunters?

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" LOL, no one can say you didn't give the Dark Hunters a shot, and I appreciate that you actually wrote out what it was about her writing style you didn't like. Not everyone can love every author. So, you can dislike Sherrilyn Kenyon, I'll dislike Laurell K. Hamilton and we'll both go off and find other awesome authors. ;)

message 6: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic (last edited Jul 21, 2010 01:29AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Nichole: I read about 50 or so pages of DARK LOVER and did not get the fascination with the Brotherhood, vampires in romance etc. Then I picked it up again for the BOM challenge after I had read IF ANGELS BURN by Lynn Viehl (those are some vamps to sink your teeth into).

So sometimes it has to do with giving it a second chance. My moods are so spiked anyway. I am glad I tried the BDB series again. Another series I dissed but want to try again IAD. B/c, damn, the love scenes were steamy and the characters were interesting but the world overall was too complex. I was told to start with the novella in Playing Easy to Get.

Nichole (DirrtyH) How many IAD books did you read? I have not read the novella, but it is the intro of the series. I did not like the first IAD book, but fell in love with that series in the second book, so if you're basing your opinion on A Hunger Like No Other, I totally understand.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Yes, it was A Hunger Like No Other. I will consider reading it again in a BOM group read. The IAD series.

message 9: by Mel (new) - added it