Scott's Reviews > World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War

World War Z by Max Brooks

Feb 24, 2009

bookshelves: horror, science-fiction
Read in March, 2009

I don't do a lot of out-of-context book recommending. Most of my little star icons don't mean anything if you don't share my particular love of football, or fantasy, or sci-fi, or history, etc. My usual 5-star is really "5-star IF you like this literary genre". But I would recommend this book, sans context, to anyone.

I'm not big into the horror genre, although there are several horror books that I've enjoyed (and Stephen King's non-fiction 'Danse Macabre', an examination of the popularity and relevance of horror fiction and film, is amazing). But World War Z isn't really a horror novel. It uses the horror genre to examine lots of different aspects of our present-day world. It's got interesting things to say about politics (and the many different forms that takes across the globe), cultural identity, religion, sociology, psychology, military theory, history, terrorism (and different cultural responses to it, both pre- and post-911) and plain old human nature. This book is NOT just a zombie book. No matter your literary bent, just read this motherfucker.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read World War Z.