Caitlin Constantine's Reviews > Birds of America

Birds of America by Lorrie Moore

Feb 24, 2009

it was ok

I feel bad. I gave up reading this, and I almost never do that. Especially when it comes to collections of short stories, because at least when it comes to short stories, you know that you only have to read a few more pages and then you'll be on to a new story. Yet I just lost interest during the story about the woman who travels to Ireland with her mother. All of the narrators seemed the same, the stories kind of depressed me, and I fell asleep a few times.

Maybe my book-induced narcolepsy was a function of the fact that I was reading these on my lunch break? I feel as though I owe Moore another chance; after all, many of the people whose opinions I really respect and admire like her writing a whole bunch. I don't know, though - it just wasn't doing it for me. Sorry.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Birds of America.

Anittah You'll probably like it more if you try reading it once you're in your late thirties. At the very least you won't like it less! Ha! :P

Caitlin Constantine Anittah wrote: "You'll probably like it more if you try reading it once you're in your late thirties. At the very least you won't like it less! Ha! :P"

Ha! You know, that's a really good point. I was in my late 20s when I read it and I am now 33 years old. I will give it another shot in a couple of years. I do have Who Will Run the Frog Hospital waiting to be read in my bookshelf, so maybe I will like that better.

message 3: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne That’s funny because I tried to read Anagrams a couple of years ago for the exact same reason – a lot of people whose opinion I respect seemed to like Moore and this book a great deal. But I could not get into it, and thought perhaps I was too old (in my 50s). I thought maybe I was just over the relationshipy angst thing. I meant to go back and try it again someday, but with a TBR list that is so long and full of other promising titles, I probably won’t.