Jody's Reviews > You Slay Me

1909610
Feb 24, 2009

bookshelves: series, gave-away
Read in February, 2009

This is actually the second time I’ve read You Slay Me by Katie MacAlister, and I enjoyed it just as much the second time around! The first time I read it was quite a few years ago, so I didn’t remember much of the story, making it feel much more like a new adventuere than a re-read.

You Slay Me is the first book in the Aisling Grey, Guardian series and Katie has created a fantastic world populated with entertaining characters and situations. Even though the story is set in a world where dragons exist and supernatural beings abound, the story never feels forced or unbelievable. I think the fact that Aisling is as unknowledgeable as the reader when she first enters this new supernatural environment, helps us to overcome any doubts we may have, as we learn the ropes right along with her. She makes many mistakes but that doesn’t make her any less endearing, in fact it makes her more lovable as she stumbles along through one hilarious situation after another, with no idea what she’s getting herself into. But Aisling is a fast learner and by the end of the novel it’s clear that she’s becoming one of the more powerful characters to inhabit “l’au delà”, and there’s nothing I love more than a funny, hot chick with superpowers. Aside from Aisling, the book is filled with many lovable characters such as Drake, the Green Dragon Wyvern and Aisling’s mate. Drake is so hot and sultry he practically makes the pages steam, and his encounters with Aisling are filled with chemistry right from the get-go. Even oddball demon Jim is hilarious and hard not to love.

The story is filled with chuckles, and despite the fact that I had read it before, the mystery kept me guessing and I didn’t figure out who dunnit until the very end of the book. You Slay Me is an entertaining and fast paced supernatural adventure, and after getting to know Aisling and her world, I can’t wait to read more of her adventures in Fire Me Up, the next Aisling Grey, Guardian adventure!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Slay Me.

02/24/2009 page 115