☮Karen's Reviews > The Storyteller

The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult

bookshelves: wwii, read-in-2015

Josef and Sage are in the same grief group. He also frequents her bakery and is a stellar, respected member of the community. He is 95, a widower, a retired teacher, ex-Boy Scout leader and Little League coach, and... he was once a Nazi who killed thousands.

He now wants Sage, because she is of Jewish descent, to end his life in retribution for what he did during WWII.

The revelation of Josef's story as recounted to Sage is just classic Picoult. Nothing is black and white -- he was an innocent boy; he was a man who got caught up and carried away in the times. His aged self is a combination of that innocence and his tremendous guilt. A combination of good and evil.

Sage's grandmother Minka is an Auschwitz survivor, but until now has never revealed her experiences. The same Picoult-ness shines through as we hear about Minka's time in Auschwitz along with a parallel story she had written about monsters. Minka's section, at over 150 wretched pages with no chapter breaks, was almost too much to bear. I grew weary, and then (true confession) guilty for feeling that way when in fact what do I know about weariness and suffering? So really quite clever of Picoult.

And clever indeed are the twists toward the end. Good, evil, whether we choose to forgive or not. Definitely one of my favorite Picoult books, even if I didn't care much for the monster fable. 4.5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Storyteller.

December 9, 2012 – Shelved
May 5, 2015 – Started Reading
May 17, 2015 – Shelved as: wwii
May 17, 2015 – Shelved as: read-in-2015
May 17, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Britany Just added this! Sounds good :)

Connie I also thought this was one of her better books. Stuck in my mind for a while.