Gerry's Reviews > The George Bernard Shaw Vegetarian Cook Book

The George Bernard Shaw Vegetarian Cook Book by Alice Laden

Whilst the menus within this book are interesting and an historical record of the type of food George Bernard Shaw ate in later life are fascinating, the most interesting part of the book is the introduction.

R J Minney writes a succinct and tremendously interesting account of Shaw's road to vegetarianism and the part Alice Laden, who originally looked after Shaw's wife until her death, played in it.

It is interesting to note that Shaw only became a vegetarian at age 25.
And Minney quotes stories told by Mrs Laden and they give a good insight into the man that was GBS. For instance he was meticulous about the number of calories that were in his daily meals. Nothing unsurprising about that one might say but then he proceeded to eat enormous amounts of cake, sweets and biscuits - always having one to hand! And, remarkably, he never put on any weight!

In addition he took two and a half hours over breakfast, the same amount of time over lunch and then hurriedly (!) ate his dinner in one and a quarter hours. How on earth did he find time to write?

Shaw was never allowed in Mrs Laden's kitchen but his continued good health until a ripe old age and hearty appetite showed that she had got it just right!

And, as I say, the menus are interesting in themselves - and I must confess I am what one might call a pseudo-vegetarian!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The George Bernard Shaw Vegetarian Cook Book.

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by GoldGato (new)

GoldGato Gerry, you have some of the most interesting books!

Gerry Thanks ever so, I try to read different things and my collection is absolutely huge so there should be plenty more! Let's hope so.