Chad Roskelley's Reviews > Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt

Aug 18, 2007

Read in April, 2007

Having an aunt in New Orleans, the south has always intrigued me. Fantastic architecture aside, the culture and people are truly fascinating; though I'm often content to remain a casual observer, without really pushing myself to learn more.

With little more than an elementary curiosity for Savannah, I was quite thrilled when my mother brought over a box of books she'd been given by a friend and I saw this lying on top.

Through this book I feel as though I'd been given the ultimate opportunity to sit and people watch in some quaint square in Savannah. Multiple stories and characters exist in this book outside of the film adaptation, lending greatly to the reader becoming a grand observer of lives.

It took me longer than average to get through this book; likely due to other books distracting me. Or perhaps due to the lack of one single, ominous plot line. Even if it took you months to finish, I'd still recommend this book to anyone interested in transporting themselves to a foreign land and intimately observing the lives of people you don't know.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.