Lisa's Reviews > The City of Dreaming Books

The City of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers

1989238
Feb 24, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: busy-as-a-bee-books, fantasy, books-about-books, 2010-reading-journal

Okay, Moers has created a clever fantasy world that all us bibliophiles can't help but be enamored. Underneath the city of Bookholm lies a catacomb of forgotten books and lots of danger. There are hazardous books, like Toxicotomes, which poison the reader. There are Animatomes and Book Hunters. My favorite characters are the Booklings, who assume the identity of an author and memorize all his work. Moers has given these authors anagrams of real authors names. It's fun trying to puzzle out who these Booklings represent. Despite all the cleverness, I never was truly engaged in the story. I found I was forcing myself to continue reading, and there were only a few sections where the story caught me up. I wanted so much to like it, but felt the story fell far short of its potential.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The City of Dreaming Books.

February 24, 2009 – Shelved
page 464
100%
January 29, 2010 – Shelved as: 2010-reading-journal
January 29, 2010 – Finished Reading

Tara Are you enjoying the story more now?

Lisa It picked up some after about 150 pages, but I'm not as enthralled as I anticipated. Maybe I'm not in the proper frame of mind for this sort of book, but it's just not "wowing" me.