Dan Schwent's Reviews > Cycle of the Werewolf

Cycle of the Werewolf by Stephen King

Feb 24, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: horror, 2016-books, 2016

Under the light of the full moon, a werewolf stalks the people of Tarker's Mills. Can anyone stop... The Cycle of the Werewolf?!?!?!?

I first read this in high school, younger than my dog is now. It took me a few chapters to realize that Silver Bullet was based on it. Anyway, I found it for a buck at a yard sale a couple years ago and decided I could use a reread.

Like Kemper told me while I was reading it, Cycle of the Werewolf is essentially a Stephen King calendar. Each chapter is a month out of the year the werewolf is stalking the town, accompanied by one or more of Bernie Wrightson's fantastic illustrations. Stephen King's writing is as crisp as ever. Also, he wrote this during his prime so it isn't bloated or over-written in the least.

I actually prefer the movie in this case. It has a lot more depth. Marty Coslaw doesn't show up until halfway through the book. The book and movie hit most of the same beats. I think the book might rely on Bernie Wrightson's illustrations a little too much. For the most part, it's just a collection of werewolf attacks with not a lot else going on. That being said, I did like the structure, with every chapter being a month of the werewolf's reign of terror.

While it is strictly a B-list Stephen King book, Cycle of the Werewolf is by far the best Stephen King novel ever turned into a movie starring Cory Haim and Gary Busey. Three out of five stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cycle of the Werewolf.

February 24, 2009 – Shelved
page 97
December 2, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016-books
December 2, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016
December 2, 2016 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Kemper (new)

Kemper Cycle of the Werewolf is by far the best Stephen King novel ever turned into a movie starring Cory Haim and Gary Busey.

Fact.

Anne Oh! Love the movie! You made me want to re-read this, Dan.

message 3: by Melki (new)

Melki Cory Haim AND Gary Busey?
Shudder.

message 4: by Dan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dan Schwent Anne wrote: "Oh! Love the movie! You made me want to re-read this, Dan."

Just watch the movie again.

Anne Good advice. Will do.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) This movie still scares the shit out of me. And Busey when he just played a crazy uncle instead of actually BEING a real life crazy is perfection.

message 7: by Dan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dan Schwent Busey was easily the best part of the movie.

message 8: by Sam (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sam Quixote This sounds like a movie I need to see - how can you tell Gary Busey is playing crazy or just being Gary Busey? I love that Family Guy cutaway of Gary Busey's abandonment of reality where he looks into a mirror and sees a clown with a head of snakes staring back at him!

message 9: by Dan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dan Schwent I think Busey was playing a little bit. He hadn't grown into his full Busey craziness at that stage.

message 10: by Anne (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anne You haven't seen it, Sam? The priest is just...brrrr! Love it!

message 11: by Tracy (new)

Tracy St Claire Oh Ha Ha Ha.