Lisa Vegan's Reviews > Behind the Attic Wall

Behind the Attic Wall by Sylvia Cassedy

This story was fun and touching from the start. I knew some of what was coming and for a while enjoyed the fantasy angle less than the realistic part. But I ended up liking it all and have much appreciation for how it ended up for all of the characters. I was both delighted and frustrated by the ending. A part of me wanted more but mostly I loved its open-endedness. I’ve decided on my own how it ended up in the long run for the main character. Maggie is a memorable character and I believe very genuinely and effectively believable. Ditto Morris and most of the others, even minor characters such as Barbara. This is a book I’d love to discuss in private with others who’ve read it. Had I read it at age 9 or 10 I’m certain it would have been one of my favorite books at the time. In some way it feels like a classic but I was already an adult when it was published. Big spoiler not to be read if you think you might read the book but haven’t yet: (view spoiler)

Thanks to Goodreads friend Hilary for alerting me to it and encouraging me to read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Behind the Attic Wall.

05/15 page 1
0.0% "I'm starting this before bed or sooner. I'm hoping that having a novel to read with my current main non-fiction book will help me read both of them. This comes highly recommended by some trusted GR friends so I'm hopeful that it will work for me." 3 comments
05/16 page 64
20.0% "I love this but the non-fiction book I've been waiting for for weeks just arrived and it takes priority. I will read both books concurrently though."
05/16 page 64
05/16 page 70
22.0% "Excellent! I am loving this book. I'll be reading at least one chapter every day while I read my priority non-fiction book. The chapters are short."
05/18 page 98
31.0% "Great fun."
05/20 page 118
37.0% "In the middle of a chapter. Hope to read more today. Liking it, though even though I knew it was coming, maybe a bit less so with the new angle."
05/25 page 150
47.0% "Good. I shall see. We're in the next phase."
05/27 page 285
90.0% "Almost done! Then back to my non-fiction book(s) and next novel."

Hilary We have just read the first two chapters, it's really good, 5 stars so far. I think you would like this one Lisa.

Lisa Vegan Hilary wrote: "We have just read the first two chapters, it's really good, 5 stars so far. I think you would like this one Lisa."

Thanks, Hilary. I do have it on my on-deck shelf. I'll look out for your review. (I am often several days late reading the friends' emails but almost always I do read them. Of course, not all friends appear every day in them, even when they've had activity, but I'll bet I'll see your review.)

Hilary I think you would really like this book Lisa, does you're library have it ? It's a really lovely read.

Lisa Vegan Hilary wrote: "I think you would really like this book Lisa, does you're library have it ? It's a really lovely read."

Hilary, I'm sure I'd like it. One of my library's sister libraries has one copy. I hope they still have it when I'm ready to read it.

Hilary That's great they keep old books like this. Our libraries have some older books in the county reserve, but if a book on the shelf gets taken out less than 3 times a year, I think a librarian told me, the book gets sold. I bought this one from the US.

Lisa Vegan Hilary, Three times a year is a lot for old books. That's a shame. I hope the single library copy stays in circulation. If worst comes to worst I'll find a copy to buy.

message 7: by Dolors (new)

Dolors Good to have this one on my radar for presents, thanks Lisa!

Lisa Vegan Dolors wrote: "Good to have this one on my radar for presents, thanks Lisa!"

Dolors, It has a very old fashioned feel to it, but if kids are okay with that, it's a great book. Particularly good for girls who like mysteries, orphan stories, school stories, dolls, nature, and characters who are flawed and who have great imaginations.

Cheryl Did your edition not have the flashbacks from the present day structure? Your review's spoiler is not a spoiler for me, at all, because (view spoiler).

message 10: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Vegan Cheryl wrote: "Did your edition not have the flashbacks from the present day structure? Your review's spoiler is not a spoiler for me, at all, because [spoilers removed]."

Cheryl, Did I really just read this??? So for me spoilers are sometimes any plot details at all. Off to check date I read...

message 11: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Vegan Wow. I didn't remember that I'd read it so recently.

Yes I'm sure my edition did. I just rarely talk about plot/story details at all, even those that happen at the beginning of books.

message 12: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Vegan It was very sad but I also found it fun. I love to read about orphans and about troubled children. For the sake of other readers I see that I could have been clearer about what was fun. Exploring the house and the internal fantasy life and other things too. Sad also for sure.

Hilary I agree Cheryl, the Aunts were doing what they thought Maggie needed. I think readers who get the most out of this book perhaps had similar times in their childhoods where they suffered loneliness or loss like Maggie.

Hilary That was meant to be posted on your review Cheryl, don't know how I managed that!

message 15: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Vegan Ah my last comment was also supposed to be posted on Cheryl's review. Maybe that's why Hilary. I assume she will see them here.

And I agree with you that people who could identify their childhoods as having similarities to Maggie's as I can, well it definitely helped me like the book as much as I did.

Hilary Yes, that's why I enjoyed The Glass Castle so much.

message 17: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Vegan Hilary wrote: "Yes, that's why I enjoyed The Glass Castle so much."

Me too, Hilary.

Cheryl Good discussion, anywhere it happens. Ty both for your insights.

message 19: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Vegan Cheryl wrote: "Good discussion, anywhere it happens. Ty both for your insights."

Cheryl, So glad you found these comments. Of course we all come to books differently based on our own lives, preferences, etc.