Vicki's Reviews > Persuasion

Persuasion by Jane Austen

bookshelves: fiction
Recommended for: Austen fans, and the generally discouraged in love.

This is my favorite Austen book (actually, it's my favorite book, period). I originally read it in grad school, in an Austen scholarship class. I'd tried reading it before, when I was a bit younger, but couldn't get into it. But you think differently after being made to read every Austen novel. You think differently as you get a little older, and you're a little calmer, I guess.

Most of Austen's novels have the same ingredients -- mysterious strangers, people who aren't what they seem, insensible parents, good and true friends, false friends, clowns and heroes, you name it. Those elements are in pretty much each of her novels, and why not, I guess? It's how she viewed things. But there's something about "Persuasion." Perhaps it's best to read this book last, so you can appreciate the differences more. It's my favorite of her books because it's elegant, but also bittersweet. She's telling us that things don't always mystically come together the way we intend them. It's a slim, elegant little novel, completely readable, and filled with excellent "morality." And there's a finality to it -- wonderful commentary on the difference between women and men, and whether or not books can tell us anything. She wrote this novel in response to a letter from a niece of hers, who was asking for advice about accepting a marriage proposal. Austen spends the whole book telling us about the consequences of "yielding to persuasion." Also the consequences of attempting to persuade. It's still a good lesson.

The whole book takes place in autumn, and has such a sad, sweet quality to it -- the joy that arises in the book is so well-earned. Absolutely gorgeous and perfect.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Persuasion.

Started Reading
July 1, 2004 – Finished Reading
August 18, 2007 – Shelved
June 20, 2015 – Shelved as: fiction

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

Erik Kalm Brilliant review. Really captures what the book is about.

Vicki Oh, thank you! It's probably one of my favorite books, period. Not just favorite Austen book.

Erik Kalm Agreed. I have listed it as my all time favorite book. Seemingly so simple, yet there is so much depth to it.
You are obviously a person of great taste and insight! :)

Vicki Well, you too, natch!

Vicki Thanks, Meghan. In my mind, you've got pretty awesome taste!

Amandajustamanda I love Persuasion! What an amazing character! I didn't realize it all took place in autumn, that's great because it's about a mature relationship, and a last chance. I love it! The movie that BBC did about ten years ago with Amanda Root and Ciaran Hinds, amazing!
This is my favorite Austen as well.

Vicki Amandajustamanda wrote: "I love Persuasion! What an amazing character! I didn't realize it all took place in autumn, that's great because it's about a mature relationship, and a last chance. I love it! The movie that BBC..."

Totally the best one -- just smacks of Autumn, right?

message 8: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Bonus: it is partly set in Lyme Regis, my grandmother's village where I have spent many days enjoying the same views as the characters!

Vicki I would very much like to go there someday!