Emma's Reviews > Locomotion

Locomotion by Jacqueline Woodson

Locomotion
by Jacquline Woodson

This book I found hidden in the book corner of my Year 5 classroom. The name and cover intrigued me as the title and cover didn’t appear very child friendly or very appealing for a 10 year old. This book is based on the poems of a young orphan Lonnie whose life changed dramatically when his parents died. He and his younger sister were separated and fostered into very different homes on the opposite side of the city.

Lonnie is an angry boy who has become dis-involved with the world and his life. But with the help of a teacher Lonnie finds a way to express his grievances through his poetry. It was from his teacher’s encouragement that he followed his ‘poet’s heart’ and was able to describe life as he knows it.

His poetry is refreshing as it tells a story. At first the topic appears to be random but eventually his life story becomes clearer. His poetry doesn’t always rhyme and he uses slang to express his bewilderment, anger and fear. This is what I think the appeal would be for KYS2 as it isn’t textbook poetry but real story telling in a childlike and straightforward way.

This book would be a good book for independent reading but also poems could be chosen for PSHE, RE and literacy as the poems are reflective and the language is child friendly. As an adult reading it I found it heart warming but for a younger child further reflection and discussion would be appropriate.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Locomotion.

Started Reading