Kirsty Stanley's Reviews > The Reluctant Vampire Queen

The Reluctant Vampire Queen by Jo Simmons

5208770

bookshelves: arcs, own-as-e-book, read-in-2022, vampires

Mo Merrydrew has a PLAN which involves studying hard, attending university and gaining a glittering career in politics or law. It does not involve boys and definitely didn’t feature vampires but it seems that the universe has an alternative plan for her. Will she accept the chosen one role that has been laid out for her and put her lifelong dreams on the back burner?

Or will she try to have it all?

The Geek Girl meets Buffy comparison is pretty spot on, think of the episode of Buffy where she meets Dracula, or the original Buffy movie, and you’ve got a good idea what you’d be heading into.

Other comparisons I’d give it would be an aged down What We Do in the Shadows or an aged up The Little Vampire. It did read a little young so fits very firmly in the teen bracket over what we’ve come to expect from YA. It’s very much a comedy rather than a horror.

The friendship between Mo and Lou is explored well, particularly when it is breaking down.

But who is the real villain of the piece? Mean girl Tracey or the Vampire King of Europe? Mo’s internal journey to fight her fear is important in terms of her success or failure to address the challenges of these two.

And then there is Luca, a vampire’s familiar, but also a dreamy cute hottie. I really enjoyed his character and how he provided a bridge between the vampire and human world. I also felt pretty sorry for him having to do a particular one of the familiar’s tasks. Queens are certainly demanding and Vampire Queens - even reluctant ones are no different.

Overall this was a really fun, pacy read, that seems to be the first in a series, and I’m very interested to see where it goes next.

I received an E-ARC of this book via netgalley. Opinions are all my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Reluctant Vampire Queen.

May 16, 2022 – Shelved