Adam's Reviews > Sociobiology: The New Synthesis

Sociobiology by Edward O. Wilson

Wow. WAAAAAAAAAAAAY over my head on this one, but when I could parse out meaning, it was pretty cool stuff. I mean, cool in the sense that it validated all of my thinking with regards to why animals, people in particular, act like they do.

I imagine that this book is to modern animal behavior science what the Pythagorean theorem is to geometry: a very simple representation of some very basic principles that, when expounded upon, lead to some real revelatory shit.

That being said, I picked at this - it's a textbook after all - so I can't claim to have read it cover to cover. Nor can I vouch for the legitimacy of all the of the science, which a lot of Creationists evidently have a big problem...although I'm the type to think that if you drive your car to a church heated through a modern heating system, you've already basically given the edge to science in that little debate...

Anyway - I'd recommend this for people who are much smarter than me, who have long attention spans. Surprisingly, I'd also recommend this to Creationists, if only because I wouldn't mind hearing about their heads exploding while trying to rationalize actual science with their beliefs.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sociobiology.

August 18, 2007 – Shelved