Sonia Reppe's Reviews > A Little Bit Wicked: Life, Love, and Faith in Stages

Feb 23, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: showbiz-celebrity, memoir-about-a-girl
Read in April, 2009

I'm a fan of this Broadway/TV/movie actress who originated the part of Glinda in Wicked. I've never seen her in an interview (maybe I'll try to find some on the internet) but from her book I imagine that she's a whirlwind. Crowned Miss Congeniality at the Miss Oklahoma beauty pageant, accused of being so freaking happy all the time, she's spunky, definitely intelligent, educated...and—I'm sure—charming and delightful...and exhausting. No, just kidding. It took me a while to get used to her style...Lots of sound effects (ex: Eeeek, kerbingo! Fwaugh fwaugh, hummana-hummana). At first she was all over the place and being funny, but in the second half was deeper and more meaningful.

She starts (after a prologue) at an airport, having a hard time with security and a crabby stewardess. I really wasn't interested in this part which I guess was included to show that she has a hard time flying just like everyone else. Ok. Once she started telling her real story, it was mainly good. But why did she spend more time on her hair problems then on her Meniere's disease (an inner-ear problem that causes vertigo)? Because the hair mishap was hilarious, yes, and well, there's nothing funny about vertigo? Still, I was curious to know more about how it effects her life and work.

My favorite parts were the chapter that told a lot about Wicked; her questions for God when she meets him; a fairy tale called the Princess and the Bogsnart; and when she nurses her mom through cancer. She won me over here, how she just dropped everything and went to her mom for two months. You rock, Kristin.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Little Bit Wicked.

12/18/2016 marked as: read